Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dell notebooks abroad

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
(If you want to skip the introduction, start reading from the next bold text)
For a while now, I've considered buying a notebook, and I think my best option would be to get a PC one. However I'm not interested in using Windows on it, and the problem is that notebooks in general aren't working with Linux very well (mainly, if not only, because the manufacturers don't provide proper drivers for the hardware).

Dell now sells notebooks with Ubuntu preinstalled, and of course the hardware is picked to not have any incompatibilities. However, neither the US nor UK sites can ship to Greece, and the Greek site doesn't seem to sell any such computers.

(End of introduction)
Is there any way I could get a Dell notebook from the USA or the UK, and somehow get it shipped here?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you have an friends or family located in the US or UK that could take the order then ship it to you?

Im guessing you dont as that would have been the obvious solution i suppose...
    Speak to Dell on the phone, they might be able to arrange something for you
    (If you want to skip the introduction, start reading from the next bold text)
    For a while now, I've considered buying a notebook, and I think my best option would be to get a PC one. However I'm not interested in using Windows on it, and the problem is that notebooks in general aren't working with Linux very well (mainly, if not only, because the manufacturers don't provide proper drivers for the hardware).

Dell now sells notebooks with Ubuntu preinstalled, and of course the hardware is picked to not have any incompatibilities. However, neither the US nor UK sites can ship to Greece, and the Greek site doesn't seem to sell any such computers.

(End of introduction)
    Is there any way I could get a Dell notebook from the USA or the UK, and somehow get it shipped here?

You're in Greece?

Never knew that - yeah invite us over to stay a week - show us all the lovely islands,etc and we'll bring it with us.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    DG wrote: »
    You're in Greece?

Never knew that - yeah invite us over to stay a week - show us all the lovely islands,etc and we'll bring it with us.
    Sure, if you'll pay for my tickets to go to the islands too. :p
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Speak to Dell on the phone, they might be able to arrange something for you
    That's an idea I guess. For the moment I've sent an email to the local part of them, I'll wait for a while to see if they reply.