Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

not paying for a fine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I got a fine on a train while traveling in Germany. I had a legitimate ticket but didn't put it thru a machine before got on a train and got a 40 Euro ticket for it. It was my fault as a visitor for not knowing how the system worked in a country that I was in, but at the same time I felt like they could've been understainding and at least listen to what I had to say.

Basically I left without paying for it. The manager said they'll track me down if I don't pay but I thought he was bluffing since they only have my name and bday (bday wasn't off my ID but something I just wrote down).

Do you guys think it'll cause me a trouble in a long run? or was the guy bluffing thinking I'll leave without paying, which I did.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Name and birthday...woooo scary stuff there, they might....send you a birthday card (to some random address as for all they know you could be anyone).
    Sounds like you've got away with it, just try and pay more attention to stuff like that in the future
  • Options
    Are you from the UK?

They could have took into account you were new to traveling on the trains in Germany, but the law is the law.

Having said that, if they don't have your address- then fuck em! Let them track you down. Even if they do track you down (which i doubt) just refuse to pay. Its not like they are going to extradite you :D
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    In the UK they'd make a serious attempt to track you down, if it was in Germany and you're not a resident I'll guess you'd be OK.
  • Options
    They didn't ask to actually see some ID? I'm very surprised.

When I lived in Germany my boyfriend got caught ticketless on the S-Bahn and tried the "but I didn't know" excuse; it doesn't wash with them. They see it day-in, day-out. To be honest it's probably the only time they make any money on fines, as the Germans are shockingly law-abiding and straight about buying tickets. Anyway, he went to the bank the next day with the form they gave him (on which they filled all his details from his passport etc, on the train) and paid the following the day, mostly because he was so mortified and was worried about being tracked down which is something they do do. However we were living in Cologne at the time so it was probably a bigger concern... I don't know if they would've hunted him down but we didn't consider it worth the risk.

The signs about a valid ticket (valid meaning purchased and dtae/time stamped - as is clearly stated) are in both German and English in every part of Germany I've travelled to. It's a pretty flimsy excuse, I can understand why they don't accept that.

If they really did only take your DOB and name then don't worry about it. You're lucky though, it's illegal to go about your daily business in Germany without some form of ID on you and it's taken very seriously if you can't prove who you are or who you aren't. Just for future reference :)
  • Options
    Thank you guys for the responses.

I do reside in UK and the conductor asked to see my credit card but it only has my name and the credit card number, which I can change.

He did ask me to write down my address too actually, but I fixed the street number just a little(Now I wish I fixed it completely but when you're in a situation like that I guess you don't think fast enough..). I put 222 instead of 221, which my friend said the post office could still run a check (?) and find me, but I don't think it's worth a trouble for both the post office and the germans.

What do you guys think? Sorry for adding another Q, I guess I'm just little paranoid and also feeling guilty at the same time.

Thank you for your time.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I wouldn't bother doing anythig about it until you hear something more. Chances are you won't hear anything about it again.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    tina81 wrote: »

I do reside in UK and the conductor asked to see my credit card but it only has my name and the credit card number, which I can change.

He did ask me to write down my address too actually, but I fixed the street number just a little(Now I wish I fixed it completely but when you're in a situation like that I guess you don't think fast enough..). I put 222 instead of 221, which my friend said the post office could still run a check (?) and find me, but I don't think it's worth a trouble for both the post office and the germans.

What do you guys think? Sorry for adding another Q, I guess I'm just little paranoid and also feeling guilty at the same time.

Thank you for your time.

If you're gonna lie about your address, make more of an effort than changing the house number lol :lol: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If you're gonna lie about your address, make more of an effort than changing the house number lol :lol: :rolleyes:

:lol: Was gonna say the same
  • Options
    If you included your post code and a wrong house number, the Post Office can still track you by name. It's because I've had mail addressed to me with a slightly wrong house number (like 22 as opposed to 20) and the post man will still find me because he delivers mail day in, day out and remembers the houses.
  • Options
    They can find you and some EU civil debts are enforceable in this country.

I wouldn't do anything until you receive a bill through the door though. If you get the bill cough up, its only £25, but don't go rushing to pay.
  • Options
    tina81 wrote: »

Thank you for your time.

I wouldnt worry about it,you should be ok.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    In the UK they'd make a serious attempt to track you down, if it was in Germany and you're not a resident I'll guess you'd be OK.

:yes:
    though for future reference all they would need is your full name and dob to find you, your address doesn't really mean shit
  • Options
    thank you guys. I think I'll wait to see. The ticket is in German and will take hours to fill it up so, I'm favoring the 'waiting' strategy.

again, thank you for your advises.
  • Options
    Aspartame wrote: »
    I expect you'll be caught. Then you'll be in the shit.

Yeah, for 40 euros, they will hang her. :rolleyes:

:p
  • Options
    will sell the debt to guantanamo collections, and then have the said person in question deported ;)