Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Funding An Access Course?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Apprantely, if I do an access course, I'm not entitled to a loan from the Student Loans Company. So, exactly how am I meant to fund my course? I don't work, because of an ongoing problem with my disability and am not getting any benefits. (have applied for DLA though)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How much does the access course cost?
    £440. And on top of that I need to pay £190 to do GCSE English. (I'll be over 19 when the course starts, so it won't be free)
    its because access counts as a further education course not higher thats why you won't be entitled to funding. if you don't work and are on benefits your fees will be paid by the government anyway and your college should inform you of that as long as its a full time course.
    The course is part time and I'm not any benefits.
    1. would you not earn enough to fund it yourself?
    2. an idea is you could see if your employer can help with funding - some employers are willing to do that esp. if the course is relevant to your current line of work.
    3. you could look into doing it full time - most FT FE courses have full fee remission.
    4. do a foundation year instead of access - then you will be entitled to funding by the student loan co. and its essentially the same thing.
    1. I am unable to work, so no.
    3. I've had a look on the college website and they don't offer it part time. It would also mean that I wouldn't be able to do GCSE Ebglish, which I need to get into uni.
    you must be entitled to some state funding though if you don't work.
    Only entitled to JSA because being partially sighted isn't good enough reason not to work, apparantely.
    Melian wrote: »
    Only entitled to JSA because being partially sighted isn't good enough reason not to work, apparantely.

depends what the job is i guess... your okay on a pc :)
    the best bet is to talk to the students union / career service at the college about getting funding help and see what they come up with because they will have dealt with hundreds of ppl like you before and would be best placed to help.
    otter wrote: »
    the best bet is to talk to the students union / career service at the college about getting funding help and see what they come up with because they will have dealt with hundreds of ppl like you before and would be best placed to help.

I'd say talk to the places your applying to, they would be used to circumstances to yours. You can get some help for fees if your on benefits for courses, but it can vary. Most places should be able to arrange payment plans if you dont think you could pay the fees up front in one go as well.