Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Living at home

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi people!

I've just met a girl, we have literally just met, not been on a date yet, but i'm pretty sure it's on the cards.

My problem is that i'm 27 and still live at home. I know she's renting a place with her friend and i'm a little concerned she will have a bit of a problem with my situation. Thing is, it's not really my choice to be at home, i've only just finished my postgraduate degree (so for the last 7 years i've had practically zero income) and haven't got myself a job yet, that'll come in the new year.

Would you be put off someone else if they lived at home at 27? I know it's pretty old to still be living with parents, but would the fact that I didn't have much choice with just finishing uni make a difference? Would it matter to you at all?

I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself here, but it's not the first time i've been embarrased about telling a girl that I still live with my parents.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ...Actually, thinking about it, it's not just girls I get embarresed about telling, people ask me all the time where I live and I feel so awkward telling them i'm still at home... but for this situation i'm more interested in what a potential partner would think about it.
  • Options
    Yes, it would really put me off to be honest. But it does depend on the circumstances.
  • Options
    How old is she?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    How old is she?
  • Options
    I have a friend who is 31 and still lives at home. I don't think it would put me off, everyone can see how hard it is to get on the property ladder at the moment and if you explain your situation then I'm sure it wouldn't put her off, it's not like you're going to be there forever is it.
  • Options
    Well living at home at 27 isn't the most attractive thing.. but if the reason is because you have been studying it's not as bad. I think the main thing to get across to her is that you have plans to move out in the new year once you get a job. (You could temp until you find work of course). And that will show her that you do want the same things.

If she's a nice girl then I'm sure she'll be understanding. I think it's just when a guy is still at home being a mummy's boy and not wanting his independence yet that is offputting.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with still living with your parents especially if it's for similar reasons to the ones you stated. Aslong as they aren't staying as they are too attached to their parents and never want to leave then it's fine.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with still living with your parents especially if it's for similar reasons to the ones you stated. Aslong as they aren't staying as they are too attached to their parents and never want to leave then it's fine.

:yes: If you've been living at home because you've been/are studying, need to save some money or you've been through a break up then I dont see any problem with it.

If you still live at home because your attached to your parents and its too much hassle to leave then its a bit off putting.
  • Options
    i dont see why anyone would have a problem with it, youve just finished you post grad so when would you have been able to leave home? you cant come strait out of uni and go into a flat unless youre really lucky....i know quite alot of people around your age still living at home because its just too hard to move out by yourself unless your really lucky and have a great job
  • Options
    If you still live at home because your attached to your parents and its too much hassle to leave then its a bit off putting.

Yeah totally. If I had it my way i'd have my own place. As much as I love my parents i'm a very independent person and I really want my own space, it's just being at uni has held me back until now.

Thanks for your replies. I guess the general thought is that it's the person's attitude rather than their situation, which is nice to hear.

Well I have a date arranged for next week, so I'll go to that feeling a little bit better about my accomodation situation :)

Now all I need is the housing market to crash and i'm sorted!! :D
  • Options
    out of curiosity. at what age do people start thinking it's bad to be living at home? 24/25 ish?
  • Options
    My boyfriend's 25 and he still lives at home, well at his grandparents. He's also moving out in the new year.

It doesn't put me off because he has a job and doesn't sponge off them or anything.
    And because of the situation you're in I wouldn't think it a bad thing at all.

I have a friend who's 21 and is living at home and doesn't have a job and still gets money from his parents. His excuse is he's waiting for the right one! I'm like for God's sake man! You're an adult!

Anyways, I hope you have a nice time on your date!