Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Viral Infection, Again !

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I've got a Viral infection again.

Read through my previous thread to double check the advice given and did a little searching elsewhere but did not find an answer to the question I have at the moment.

Until this morning I was taking Ibuprofen 200mg 2 every four hours, the first time helped but the other two doses I felt did nothing for me. My brother had something similar and his is now going away I think i caught it initially from him since he stayed over on Friday when I was fine and by Saturday I was feeling like utter utter shit.

He gave me Sudofed, 2 tablets every four hours. Already taken 4.

The actual question have is this though. When I cough it is very sore around the middle of my chest, it really is painful. What can I take if anything to take away this pain ? The tablets are helping the headaches which is great though.

What are my options other than the doctors at this moment in time ?

I know it will go in it's own time, I can feel it working through quite quickly actually, but I really need something to ease this pain, it's a muscle pain i should point out, perhaps this isn't quite described right but it's like the muscle is being pulled in as i cough.

At least it's not the same Viral infection as last time because that was just murder !

I'll also add that it was suggested to me to rub Vicks Vapour Rub over that are and I think it's helped slightly but obviously not the ideal solution.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're not taking anything else with paracetamol in, take that as well as the ibuprofen, and alternate the doses so you're taking something every 2 hours.

Eg. 8am 2 Ibuprofen
    10am 2 paracetamol
    12 noon 2 Ibuprofen etc.

That should make things a teeney bit better. Other than that, rest, fruit and veg and hot drinks and steamy showers.

Do check what's in the sudafed though and make sure you're not already getting paracetamol from something else.
  • ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya edn1,
    As you've got pain in your chest it would be a really good idea for you to give NHS direct a ring. The no. is 0845 46 47. You'll be able to talk to a nurse who will let you know if going to the doctor is a good idea or if you can self-treat your illness.

Sorry you're ill and hope you feel better soon,
    CB
    The number for NHS 24 in Scotland is different, its 08454 242424. The Christmas and Hogmanay weekends are the busiest two weeks of the year so you could be waiting 4-6 hours to speak to a nurse. If you're worried pop down to your local A&E, especially as its a chest pain- any chest pains normally direct the operator to refer you straigh to A&E anyway.
    I agree with the seeking professional advice idea. You probably have chest pain cos you've been coughing, but it is best to be on the safe side. However i do have to add that ibuprofen can only actually be taken every 6-8 hours, so a maximum of 6 tablets/1200mg a day :thumb:
    Kermit wrote: »
    The number for NHS 24 in Scotland is different

though if you ring the english one you can push the button for if you live in Scotland and get put through anyway :)
    Sorry I might have given the wrong impression. It's not a " chest " pain rather a muscular one which only occurs when I coughed. Thankfully it is starting to go away now. Ran out of Sudofed so started using Ibuprofen again.

Now at the stage where I'm constantly coughing and no cough medicine, Bugger !

Whatever it is seems to be passing through quickly-ish.
    keep warm and don't be taking your painkillers for more than 3 days.
    is it the flu or a chest infection or what?
    otter wrote: »
    keep warm and don't be taking your painkillers for more than 3 days.
    is it the flu or a chest infection or what?

I'm really not too sure now to be honest. There are so many varying symptoms it's difficult to say.

Having said I felt fine I instantly became stone cold again and got some muscle pain in my legs and my toes are a little numb. The hearing in my left ear is also a bit dulled now as well.

Ran out of Sudafed so took a couple of Co Codamol as it's all we've got left in the house. I've got work tomorrow but with all these symptoms I think I'll have to conceded defeat and see if I can get a doctors app or something. I HATE phoning in sick it's just not something I do but it's a delivery shift with lots of heavy lifting in the morning in the freezing cold so not exactly ideal bearing in mind how I feel right now.

I have been trying to keep warm though my body heat jumps from overheating one minute to stone cold and me shivering the next. Wrapped up right now but not doing much for me at all. Having some hot soup to try and warm myself up at the moment. I rarely get ill too.

Can I ask though, I was taking Co-Codamol then Ibuprofen then Sudafed now back to Co-Codamol. AS per the adult dose and per the instructions no less than 4 hours apart. However I've been taking this lot since around Saturday / Sunday. Now Otter you were saying not to take the painkillers for more than 3 days so should I stop immediately ?

One ore thing I might as well ask here now, I work part time with a zero hour contract, meaning there is no set limit of hours given to work per week, Obviously I have to pay for prescriptions but is there any information that makes some leeway for people like myself who earn very little or do I still fall into the paying category ?

Thanks for the reply everyone very appreciated. I'll have to check and see if and when the doctors surgery is open tomorrow and if so what time.
    Unless you're on any benefits at the moment and can prove it, you'll have to pay for the prescriptions.

People on low incomes can sometimes get help with prescription costs, but you have to be assessed for it and have a certificate to prove it.

The form you need to get assessed is the HC11 (I think), some pharmacists have it, some GPs/health centres or you can request one. Obviously you won't get that sorted in time, but if when you get the prescription you ask the pharmacist for an NHS receipt for later getting a refund, then if it turns out you are eligible you can get your money back.

As long as you're not exceeding the stated doses on the packets, I've not come across anything about not taking that kind of stuff for more than 3 days.
    Just a note to ask if the co-codamol is prescribed to you? Just that, codeine's addictive, so it's best kept for moderate/severe pain and only taken by the person it's prescribed for.

If you prefer codeine, boots do a paracetamol & codeine you can buy over the counter, which is a much lower dose of codeine than the POMs.
    Just a note to ask if the co-codamol is prescribed to you? Just that, codeine's addictive, so it's best kept for moderate/severe pain and only taken by the person it's prescribed for.

If you prefer codeine, boots do a paracetamol & codeine you can buy over the counter, which is a much lower dose of codeine than the POMs.

I don't like taking medicine at all to be honest. The only time I do is when I really feel very unwell. Generally sleep is my best medicine. Medication to me is my last resort.

It isn't prescribed to be but I have had it in the past when I suffered Migraines. To be honest though I'd rather have something stronger that will act quicker and do more than something that isn't quite as strong.
    I get what you mean, but really, if you have a choice between an addictive painkiller or a non addictive painkiller, you should choose the latter.

I'm prescribed codeine and tramadol, but won't touch them unless I'm in absolute agony. Codeine addiction is all too familiar atm - a family member has recently become a codeine addict, not nice.... self medicating isn't the greatest idea in the world.
    Had to make an emergency appointment with the doctors after I started getting a terrible pain in my ears. There was so much pressure and ringing it was almost unbearable.

It's an ear & throat infection which i've been given Amoxicillin for. However I TOTALLY managed to fuck up the dosage yesterday and have not been able to take any until today again.

My ear's are extremely dull and the ringing is still there and in can be distorted aswell, i was told it would take at least 5 days for the antibiotics to start working. Honestly wish it would be sooner because I'm fed up of this ringing in my ears and the dullness.

Bought some night night to help me sleep since I haven't been able to do so properly. The whole infection has messed with my balance etc. Feel randomly light-headed and dizzy. I'm all over the place.

If the problems with my ears etc have not gone after 5 days I've to go back and see him, heres hoping it does go away though !
    ringing ears can be a side effect of pain killers. obviously don't mix painkillers with antibiotics either.
    hope your feeling better soon anyway.
    The doctor said the ringing ears and pressure along with light headed feeling and so forth is all related to the infection. He reckoned it started out as a cold then became this ear/throat infection.

One thing I will add though, I put a cotton bud just a small way into my ear, when i took it out it looked like it had blood on it, though perhaps it wasn't and what must have been some of the bacteria from the infection.

I don't know if that is all normal or no to be honest ..

Anyway feeling funny again now thanks for all the replies everyone :)
    Poking cotton buds in really isn't the greatest idea. Unlikely to do anything to help, far more likely to aggrevate things.

There's no reason to stop taking over the counter pain killers if you're on anti biotics, unless told otherwise by the doctor or the packet.
    Uhm, I've been told that the local medical centre is closed for the next two / three days which is a bit of a problem in that A) The doctor told me to go back after 5 days if the infection hadn't cleared up and B) more importantly I only have 2 capsules left of the medication he prescribed to me which will be gone by tomorrow morning !

What do you do in a situation like this ?
    If you have a walk-in centre at your local hospital pop in there. Amoxycillin is a fairly common antibiotic (it was what I was prescribed when I last had an ear infection) and there shouldn't be any problems with getting you treated quickly. Sometimes it can just need an extra bit of help- I had to take two antibiotics to get rid of my infection.

As for the blood-coloured thing, it sounds like its just pus. My ears always fill right up with pus when I get an infection, prefectly normal but bloody painful. Don't put a cotton bud in the ear, as it can compact the wax in your ear and make the infection worse.

If the pain is too much take some painkillers- paracetomol or co-codamol together with ibuprofen works for me. Otter is wrong- you are usually fine to take over-the-counter painkillers at a normal dose when taking antibiotics, unless you are told otherwise by your doctor.
    Don't worry too much about the medication. Assuming it's the same antibiotics you mentioned earlier, they are unlikely to give you more of the same. If you get anything else it will be different so a small break is no massive deal.

Have you tried calling your doctor? Even if the practise is closed for a few days, there should be some out of hours provision and you usually find out about that by calling the GP and listening to the message on the answer phone.
    As Scary Monster said above, or try calling NHS Direct (see claire Bear's earlier post) and I'm sure they can advise the best way to get emergency help. Hope you're feeling better soon.
    Just wanted to say thanks again for all the replies. I went back to the doctors yesterday, different doctor but he was actually good ! This time I've been given Clarithromycin, think that's the right spelling of it.

Been given a 5 day course again, really hoping it works. This doctor mentioned that it will take " some time " in his words for the whole thing to clear up but I never asked for clarification as to what exactly he ment by that.

He actually explained what exactly it is I've got and how it sort of all works which was actually quite interesting to know.

Not sure what the next step will be if this stuff doesn't work, another antibiotic obviously but how many would they make me go through in the course of trying to get it to clear up !

Anyway thanks again.
    edn1 wrote: »
    This doctor mentioned that it will take " some time " in his words for the whole thing to clear up but I never asked for clarification as to what exactly he ment by that.

In my experience, it means they don't know.

But as a translation, just don't be expecting to be 100% as soon as the course of drugs is over.