Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Relationships at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you guys feel about having relationships with people at work?

Do you think it's no different from meeting someone in any other way or would you never go there?

I'm reluctant because I think it could cause problems further down the line, eg. break-ups etc. Obviously it depends on how much you see that person/how closely you work with them and other factors, but I was just wondering what people's general feelings about it were?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it depends. If you're just after a bit of fun, it can come back to bite you on the arse. Can also cause problems if you split up.

That said, I met my other half at work. A year later, we're still together (neither of us are still working at the same place). If I'd have shied away because he was someone from work I'd have missed out on an awesome relationship.

To be played by ear, I'd say.
    I met my fella at work, shied away from doing anything when I last worked there because he was in my dept and my project manager, but now I'm back in a completely seperate department we've got together (works xmas do's have a lot to answer for!). Whilst we've only had a week at work together, but we hardly ever see each other because our jobs have nothing in common.

I don't think I'd ever let anything happen between me and someone I worked closely with though, because there could be too many issues if you split or whatever.
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Oh my word! Has it been that long already? Crikey, it still only seems like a couple months ago in my mind!

A year today, in fact :D
    I think it depends on the situation as much as anything. If its a job that you're not too fussed about then you have less to lose. If its no big deal that you might split up and have to leave then go for it.

However don't go and have a relationship at work if its a job you really care about, or if having the relationship will cause problems. Don't go and pork the boss or a married man, basically.
    LOL,

A relationship ain't gonna happen at my workplace - 20 people, of which only 1, yes !ONE! is female. And yes, she is attached.
    never mix business with pleasure
    Ive tried the relationship at work- it doesnt work, ill tell you that!! Too many people involved from work, and it does go tits up, its a lot harder to move on!
    i would like a relationship with a work colleague as i can't seem to get him out of my mind and we have so much in common

i'm too much of a wimp to do anything about it tho :blush:

i don't see anything wrong with a work relationship
    Don't dip your pen in the company ink.

Never shag the boss' son twice. No no noooo.
    I met my bloke at work. I work in the HR Dept and he works in Site Protection (aka he's a fireman) so we don't have a lot to do with each other workwise, although we can usually find something if it means an excuse to see each other! ;)

We've been together roughly a year now and it's never caused any problems apart from me getting a lecture from my supposed-manager (except she can't manage for toffee!) about confidentiality - I'm not stupid enough to tell him anything he doesn't already know from everyone else around site!! (btw, it's the money I love, not the job!).

Like someone else said, everyone else does seem to think they can stick their oar in and we're both constantly asked about wedding bells and "the first <company name> baby"! Grrrr...
    Strangely enough, I've met both my girlfriends through work. The first was through a temporary job, and the second was working in a different department on the park. Usually, a relationship only causes a problem when people choose to make it a problem.
    I tend to avoid.

You can't help who you get feelings for though, if it's someone at work then it's someone at work. I got that, did the ding dong with her then she decided she liked my mate (we're all in the same team) and they're shagging on a regular basis now but I'm not supposed to know about it ;)

Luckily I'm not that bothered and I can be a grown-up around them both, if it happened even a year ago then I'd have been sulking about it.
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    What do you guys feel about having relationships with people at work?

It's ok but the stains are hard to get out of the office furniture :p
    I met my husband at work. But I also made the decision to leave the job and move to another company so that our relationship would work out. He is an operations manager and I was a trainer, and as soon as people heard that we were together the bitching began that my training team were spendning more time with his staff so that they would get better satisfaction scores etc etc, this was bollocks, but just made every decision either of us made in the office open a can of worms, so it was our jobs or our relationship......