Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Westminster bans soup kitchens for the homeless

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7155783.stm

One way of wishing people a Merry Christmas I guess... :rolleyes:

Does anyone buy Westminster Council's story that soup kitchens make people abandon hostels to live on the street?

Twats.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7155783.stm

One way of wishing people a Merry Christmas I guess... :rolleyes:

Does anyone buy Westminster Council's story that soup kitchens make people abandon hostels to live on the street?

Twats.

Westminster Council are a bunch of twats. Probably one of the richest councils yet dont want soup kitchens and the homeless on their patch.

Its more to do with homelessness and poverty dont fit in with Westminster's image. Shame they not so picky about the pubs and strip clubs in Soho.

Shame on you Westminster council.
  • Options
    I expect no better from them really, they have a history of being intolerant of some issues.

I hear the leader on the radio yesterday and she was dumbfounded whn a caller asked if her approach would be the same if this was one of her own kids on the streets.

Of course the answer is no, you'd want them to get as much help as they could. Whenever and wherever that was.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Does anyone buy Westminster Council's story that soup kitchens make people abandon hostels to live on the street? .

of course not. they'd get fed in a hostel to.
    also what does it really matter that all the people who use the soup kitchens aren't necessarily homeless - at least having them there are doing some good for the ones who are on the streets. it's xmas ffs.
  • Options
    Don't agree with Westminster Council but I think John Bird, Big Issue founder probably has a point - the priority should be getting people off the streets altogether instead of spending mostly on emergency short term help.
  • Options
    Obviously youll get people who arent on the streets, but maybe still homeless in temporary accomodation and penniless using them too. I dnt see the problem with that.
    I dont think many people are going to be leaving their big houses and central heating though for a mug of cup-a-soup and a rubber cheese sandwich
  • Options
    Obviously youll get people who arent on the streets, but maybe still homeless in temporary accomodation and penniless using them too. I dnt see the problem with that.
    I dont think many people are going to be leaving their big houses and central heating though for a mug of cup-a-soup and a rubber cheese sandwich

:yes:
  • Options
    The founder of the Big Issue isn't against it, so why should we be?

It is more about getting rid of the poor than anything else, mind.
  • Options
    If anyone wants that Radio 5 programme MoK mentioned it's on Listen Again for a few days: 5 Live Report
  • Options
    I can understand the idea that people who aren't homeless might take advantage of the service - and I sense, I can't blame them. Would you take a free lunch if it was offered? However, banning the soup kitchens altogether is a total over-reaction. To Mr Scrooge and his cronies at Westminster City Council - humbug to all of you.
  • Options
    Could've picked a better time to announce it.
  • Options
    Could've picked a better time to announce it.
    Could they, though? Let's say that they'd announced back in February (feels like an age ago now, doesn't it?) that they wouldn't be running soup kitchens this year. There would have still been the same hoo-hah as there is now about it. The only thing is, they would have been criticised all over again as Christmas approached, and people remembered that there wasn't going to be one. This is a piece of news management that Josef Goebbels would be proud of.