Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Black Friday

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Down here, the last working Friday before Christmas is known as black friday. We usually have a black friday before each bank holiday lol, but especially in the summer too.

Fridays the factories shut early, so there are a lot of people on all dayers and then everyone is in the mood to get slammed.

As usual, on the news http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7157423.stm lots of black friday commotion

But I noticed this is only reported in Wales, do you guys in the rest of the UK not have such a thing ?

Just curious really as it's always been like that since I was a kid

Comments

• Options
    Yeah the last working day before a holiday or bank holiday weekend is always a big one. Most people go out on the razz. Not sure about factories or offices shutting early. My office is 24/7 so I wouldnt know.

Never heard it called Black Friday though, must be a welsh thing :p
  • Options
    In Wales, every day is a black day. Just look into the sky at all those rain clouds. :p
    Calvin wrote: »
    Never heard it called Black Friday though, must be a welsh thing :p
    Well, I've lived here my whole life, and I've never heard it being called that.
  • Options
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yeah, I know it as Black Friday and I'm not Welsh :p

Apparently the roads in town were gridlock from about lunchtime :|
  • Options
    Apparently the roads in town were gridlock from about lunchtime :|
    So says the media. As there's next to no real news at the moment, they were running this story endlessly. If you believed everything that Sky News were reporting yesterday afternoon, the roads were hell on earth. Anyone who went out onto the roads was a lunatic, they seemed to say. Apparently, they'd be greeted with traffic jams. Wow - traffic jams don't happen on other days of the year, do they?

Ooh, it's another flying pig...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    So says the media. As there's next to no real news at the moment, they were running this story endlessly. If you believed everything that Sky News were reporting yesterday afternoon, the roads were hell on earth. Anyone who went out onto the roads was a lunatic, they seemed to say. Apparently, they'd be greeted with traffic jams. Wow - traffic jams don't happen on other days of the year, do they?

Ooh, it's another flying pig...

Well, town was horrible. But I was on the M1 going home at around 5pm and, considering the time, the motorway was lovely and quiet :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah it was pretty crazy yesterday. Leeds city centre was dead roadswise about 5/6pm which is virtually unheard of.
  • Options
    we call it Mad Friday in this part of the world, was horrible in town last night
  • Options
    the friday before xmas, fighting friday ive heard ot referred to around the clubs and pubs in durham

giant wads of cash everyone has, having just got paid
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    the friday before xmas, fighting friday ive heard ot referred to around the clubs and pubs in durham
    I wouldn't expect anything else of Durham. :p
  • Options
    I wouldn't expect anything else of Durham. :p

Have you ever been to Durham?!
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Have you ever been to Durham?!
    Certainly have. I've got some family living up there. Mind you, that's going back a few years now.
  • Options
    Certainly have. I've got some family living up there. Mind you, that's going back a few years now.
    Fair enough. I've always thought it was an alright place myself.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Fair enough. I've always thought it was an alright place myself.
    It might well have changed a lot since I was last there. Or maybe I had a bad experience of the place, I don't know.
  • Options
    Only when the hillbillies from deepest darkest County Durham come into town ;)