Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New Research: Cannabis smoke IS more harmful than tobacco

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7150274.stm

This is a major new study, which you can read more about in this months New Scientist.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would be curious to know where they got the cannabis for this study, if it was lab produced it may well not reflect street supply which could be even worse with pesticides, loads of chemical fertiliser and other various bits and bobs.
    mmm, indeed there is a programme on Radio 4 tonight at 8pm.

The Cannabis Issue (or something); looks at contemporary trends in the cannabis economy since downgrading.
    I thought this had been known for years? I remember watching a documentary years ago and they said that smoking weed was 3 times worse than smoking a cigarette because you inhale more bad stuff from the tobacco.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/7153698.stm

Here is a report from BBC Cambridgeshire, which I believe is related to the programme airing later tonight on Radio 4.
    mmm, indeed there is a programme on Radio 4 tonight at 8pm.

The Cannabis Issue (or something); looks at contemporary trends in the cannabis economy since downgrading.

Well they had a stab at the truth, and there werent that many errors in it, some mistakes were only minor - all in all it wasnt a bad show.

I must admit to being facinated by the Vietnam influence, why them? And why by such a big margin?
    Well if you want to explore the vietnam influence, this persons' work will be of interest.

http://www.essex.ac.uk/Sociology/people/staff/cox.shtm
    Stay away from weed. Its a dark horse!
    cant be bothered to check the links, i already know about bad side effects of ganja.

i used it from around 12 years old till 20 years.

after discontinuing use, on came disalusions - the tv is watching me etc, hearing voices, crazy halucinations.

when i finally came down off that trip enough for a doctor to talk to me, got diagnosed as a pshycotic episode.

5 years later, still get same symptoms, just not as strong. am on anti pshycotics for life.

it may not be instant death, but it sure takes your life away..

on top of that, the feelings of depression make you think about taking your own life at times. all these thoughts are uncontroled.

plenty of people have actually gone ahead and killed themself during such episodes.

acording to the site schizophrenia.com,

1 in 10 people world wide will try canabis

out of those, 1 in 4 will contract some kind of mental illness from it.

indeed, i have spoke to quite a few people who smoked it. mainly women tell of short term side effects similar to mine..

of course, most of these episodes go away after a short time. depending on how much was taken, over what period of time, and also the individual persons genes and mind set and shit..

my opinion, weed is good! just dont abuse it!

if it starts to make u think weird stuff, stop smoking it!