Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Go straight to prison, do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

Or, at least, that's what could potentially happen if you're now caught using a handheld mobile phone. The Beeb informs us that; "Motorists in England and Wales caught driving dangerously while using a handheld mobile phone face jail under new guidelines. The Crown Prosecution Service guidance follows a policy change announced in September because of concerns that too many drivers flouted the ban. Most drivers will still face the standard penalty of a fine and points. But where driving falls far short of what is safe, prosecutors can press charges of dangerous driving." Click here for more.

I'm all in favour of it. Long overdue, but can't complain. (bloody hell, it must be Christmas) What do you all reckon?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This has always been the case though. Where someone using a mobile is stopped and it's decided they were driving dangerously they faced jail. It's just media hype.

A better alternative for stopping people using phones would be to either:
    Increase the numbers of traffic patrols
    Increase the number of points/fine costs.

Using a phone can be dangerous, the current penalty doesn't reflect that. Likewise a jail term is far too OTT.
  • Options
    What's the big deal? You face a prison term for driving down a motorway while texting with both hands? When has that not been the case?
  • Options
    The guy in the car behind me on the motorway was chatting on his phone non stop for ages - was quite worrying the way he was driving with one hand on the phone and the other on the wheel.

Wanted to take a pic but that would have not been a great idea in a moving car .. LOL
  • Options
    Tbh, I would say that that's less risky than doing it in a town. Better than having to take your hand of the steering wheel to change gear.
  • Options
    We were in start and stop traffic for a large part of the journey whilst there was roadworks on the M1
  • Options
    It's just the way it is being reported in some media outlets that has confused some people.

The indescribably piss-poor Evening Standard had the headline "Prison for bad drivers" or something like that. :rolleyes: