Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

India Visa

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
On an India visa form I have to put two references in the UK and two in India. They say that if you don't have one for India you can just put the hotel where you are staying. But who on earth should I list as the UK references?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I meant to say it's just for a short trip, I'm going for a week at the start of the year for a friend's wedding.
  • Options
    Seem to remember from mine it was upstanding members of the community.

Kind of people you can get to sign passport photos.
  • Options
    One advice if you are going in person to London get there really early - the girl in the line behind me had gone at 11am and didn't get in the day before - I go there at 8:30am and was number 430 in the line

I certainly don't ever remember anything about references though
  • Options
    I've only ever been for work so i've just put work people as my references. I would put in the first instance the name of the person who's wedding your going to and then another - I dont' think they hardly ever check them anyway.

Ohh and get there realllly early - my friend was there at 8 this morning and didnt' get in, so aim for 7 or earlier.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Good news is that they have re-commended the postal visa service so I'm just going to send it off (special delivery only).
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.

Good news is that they have re-commended the postal visa service so I'm just going to send it off (special delivery only).

It's not the same if you haven't spent a good few hours in the line to get the VISA - also you meet some really nice people whilst you wait ..LOL
  • Options
    Are they still doing the postal service I thought they had suspended it because there was too much demand - I would phone them up if you can to see if they are still doing it and how long you would have to wait - on the website i think it says a minimum of 15 working days - which is 3 weeks - but that its longer sept - feb - you could end up being without a passport untill well into the new year.

oh the joys of the indian high comission - its like a tiny piece of india in the heart of london - you shoudl go its a worthwhile experience.
  • Options
    Strangely enough the system works quite well there just happens to be a huge demand for it - but the way they've organised the lines is dumb and it's just totally over crowded there.
  • Options
    Got my visa!!

It came today, I sent it off using the special delivery postal visa service at the start of December so it was pretty quick really.

In the end I just used two friends who've known me a few years for the references, as far as I know they weren't actually contacted anyway.

I was quite nervous about getting it so I'm really pleased it went through okay.