Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Growing Your Own Veggies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone grow their own food?

I'm thinking about growing Tomatoes

But what's easy to grow? (i.e. throw some seeds in the ground and wait)

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    I have had 2 allotments but was neglecting them so gave up. You could easily grow runner beans in a small garden in pots, and potatoes too.
  • Options
    Tomatoes are ridiculously easy to grow in a container. I grow them in a hanging basket - you get get varieties that are especially good at trailing from baskets, such as Tumbling Tom.

Something like this would be really cool

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QJb9bbcCL._SS500_.jpg
  • Options
    My mum grows tomatoes, runner beans, blackberrys, cherrys, apples, pears, figs, has some nut trees, and a shedload of herbs. Bloody marvellous. Tomatoes are very easy to grow, flat leaf parsley also does well.
  • Options
    I can't WAIT to get my own place and grow veggies. And have chickens. Yay :yippe:
  • Options
    I want chickens too :(

My granny has chickens on her farm in Italy, and the eggs are something else :yum:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have grown strawberries in a pot before :D

Seriously though, we don't have the facilities to grow our own veg. Would love to, though.
  • Options
    My parents used to grow some things. I can't remember what and what not now. But I do remember lettuce because it always turned out bitter. Maybe it was the kind they used. The boyfriends dad grows green peppers and tomatoes. The most delicious (and giant) tomatoes ever. Very meaty.
  • Options
    Got my little herb garden, which is dead and dying now, but was nice in the summer popping out with a pair of scissors for fresh herbs. Two Bramley trees in the garden, still with a bit of fruit on.

Had a go a tomatoes and cucumbers in grow bags this year but they were crap. Tomatoes didn't ripen and cucumbers were the size of a cocktail gherkin :D
  • Options
    I like to grow onions, leeks, squash, sprouts, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, rocket lettuce, runner beans, dwarf beans, broad beans...

I also have a strawberry patch, a nice lot of blackberries, a blackcurrant bush,
  • Options
    We've got tomatoes, strawberries, rasberries, blackberries, blackcurrants and loganberries in our garden, as well as a big herb pot and two pear trees (and access to next door's apple tree - they take the pears which grow over their garden, we do the same with apples!) Not bad for a London garden, i feel :)

I want chickens too :( My mum thinks that they'll ruin the lawn. Pah.
  • Options
    tomatoes are the easiest to start off with you can just get a bucket some seeds and your on your way after that everything is pretty easy. peppers string beans whatever...
  • Options
    Tomatoes are realllllly easy to grow. Other things which are quite easy are courgettes and even potatoes (if you've got the space in your garden). Lettuces tend to be a bit of a hassle in terms of getting eaten by bugs. I really like growing fresh garlic as well, have tried carrots but didn't really get that many this year. If you put a trellice type arrangement up you can grow runner beans - and you get LOADS of them with not much effort..
  • Options
    Oh growing garlic would be fun!
    Our association says we can't grow any food/spices :(
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    In the past have grown tomatoes, onions, spring onions and runner beans. All pretty easy.
    Now I just grow scotch bonnets indoors. Really easy.
    Weekender Offender