Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What is 'Grade A Refurbished'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For christmas I've asked my mum for a digital camera, and don't have a clue which ones are good or not. However, I have the opportunity to buy a Nikon Coolpix S7 for £95 (RRP £170) 'Grade A Refurbished' through ebuyer.co.uk. As far as I'm aware this means it's 'as new' but doesn't have the extended manufacturers warranty and so on. The camera shouldn't be more than £100, and just needs to take nice photos. Would be good if it was good in low-light, because I do take photos whilst going out. In fact, the cheaper the better really, it's just to get photos onto my HDD. I do enjoy photograhy and always end up taking millions of photos, so I was considering something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuji-FinePix-S5700-Digital-Camera/dp/B000PH5IWI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1197569284&sr=1-6

but of course I've got no chance of taking that out with me. Any recommendations? Does the nikon coolpix sound like a good deal? My friend who is amatuer but-will-be-professional-one-day photographer says it's a great camera at a great price... but the 'refurbished' sticker is a bit scary.

Comments

• Options
    Good question to ask on refurbished stuff is what's the guarentee like.
  • Options
    Refurbished means it's been handed back as faulty and repaired, then resold. The grade A doesn't mean anything.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Refurbished means it's been handed back as faulty and repaired, then resold. The grade A doesn't mean anything.

I know there was a guide somehwere. It was something like:

Grade A: identical to new product
    Grade B: possibly signs of wear, documentation may be missing
    Grade C: damaged in some way but still operates properly

Last time I bought something refurbished it was broken. Physically. But this is quite a good deal. :(
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I know there was a guide somehwere. It was something like:

Last time I bought something refurbished it was broken. Physically. But this is quite a good deal. :(

Ah, I thought "grade A" was a cyinical marketing ploy.
  • Options
    That's right, Grade A means identical to new including packaging and warranty etc.

Usually bulk Grade A items are things that are recalled for fault button etc so they redo the whole batch but have to classify them as refurbs then :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Whowere wrote:
    I thought "grade A" was a cyinical marketing ploy.

depending where you are buying from - it can mean both the above.
  • Options
    I doubt that there will be a legal definition of "grade a" so basically it'll boil down to the policy of the sellers.

Standard legal covers will apply to the sale though, fit for purpose etc..