Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bio Oil

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone here use bio oil?

I've started using it as a moisturiser and am hoping it will even out my skin tone.

Comments

• Options
    I used bio oil to help out my skin when it was really dry, and had alot of blemishes, and found that it worked really well for me. If you use it continuously, it will really smooth out your skin leaving it moisturised and looking good.
  • Options
    That's good to hear. I will stick at it!
  • Options
    Yup Iuse it.
    Good stuff especially on scarrs and stretch marks
  • Options
    This might sound a bit silly, but is it actually oil? And if it is oil and you are using it as a moisturiser does it not end up making your skin really greasy?
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »

I've started using it as a moisturiser and am hoping it will even out my skin tone.

Are you using it on your face? How will it even out skin tone? Just interested!
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes, I'm using it on my face. I only use a few drops and it is quite a dry oil.

I've read good things about it in clinical tests about how it can help scarring and uneven/blotchy skin.
  • Options
    I used it when I got back from camp america last year because my legs (and arms, and back, etc...) were absolutely covered in little scars from mosquito bites. it worked really well, you can't see any of them now only one or two.
  • Options
    I used it on my stretchmarks and they're barely even visible now, it is liquid gold as far as I'm concerned. The best :thumb:

Haven't used it on my face but I probably would if I had any problems, it's miraculous. Seems to work better for some than others, but I've never heard a horror story about it!
  • Options
    It sounds ace
  • Options
    I've got a bottle of the stuff got it at Holland & Barrett - good for helping scars to heal if you apply it ASAP - skin heals better when moist

smells really nice as well
  • Options
    My sisters both used it on their stretchmarks and it's worked pretty well! I've never thought about using it everyday though, I may give it a go :chin: I use baby oil and that makes my skin super smooth, is it the same type of thing?
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    My sisters both used it on their stretchmarks and it's worked pretty well! I've never thought about using it everyday though, I may give it a go :chin: I use baby oil and that makes my skin super smooth, is it the same type of thing?

nah Bio oil will heal baby oil is just oil moisturiser
  • Options
    I did consider getting it for my back now that my operation wound has healed, because the scar just irrtates me, but I don't know how good it'd really do on it....
  • Options
    How much does it cost? I have some stretch marks I'd like to work on, if it would help, I'm game.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    How much does it cost? I have some stretch marks I'd like to work on, if it would help, I'm game.
    It's about £8 from Lloyds Pharmacy, and they sometimes have deals on it too. It's quite a big bottle that you get as well.
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    nah Bio oil will heal baby oil is just oil moisturiser

Ahh right! Do you have to use it on like new scars or can you use it on existing ones too?
    I have a few burn scars on my hands and arms I'd like to get rid of!
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    I did consider getting it for my back now that my operation wound has healed, because the scar just irrtates me, but I don't know how good it'd really do on it....

Doubt it would make much if any difference to a wound that's already healed

think it works better when used whilst a wound is still in the healing process. If for only the fact wounds heal better when moist.

You might have some luck with [FONT=Arial, Helvicta]Active Manuka Honey [/FONT]though

http://www.manukahoneyusa.com/scar-healing.htm

http://www.activemanukahoneyusa.us/Scars.htm
  • Options
    DG wrote: »

think it works better when used whilst a wound is still in the healing process. If for only the fact wounds heal better when moist.

You might have some luck with [FONT=Arial, Helvicta]Active Manuka Honey [/FONT]though

http://www.manukahoneyusa.com/scar-healing.htm

http://www.activemanukahoneyusa.us/Scars.htm

More meant now that it's fully closed up, the stitches only came out a couple of weeks ago, so couldn't put anything on it for a while.
  • Options
    Manouka honey is only good during the actual healing process not really for scars. I've used it alot in the community with the distict nurse and it really works....it's also good for spots :thumb:
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    More meant now that it's fully closed up, the stitches only came out a couple of weeks ago, so couldn't put anything on it for a while.

You could ask for a referral to an occupational therapist- they might be able to help you with scar management. I guess it depends on the severity of the scar and the way your skin heals. They might give you some silicone sheets and a pressure garment. B est to ask now though, scar amanagement is better when you start early.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »

I would feel funny putting it on my face as its an oil, but i misread your post and thought you said you mixed it with moisturiser, which sounds like a good idea to me.

Does anyone know if its ok to mix with moisturiser?
  • Options
    DG wrote: »

ACTUALLY, Bio Oil does help with old scars (hence why it works on stretch marks). I don't know how MUCH good it can do since I never used it enough to make much difference, but I've heard that it can make them fade to pretty much invisible.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    ACTUALLY, Bio Oil does help with old scars (hence why it works on stretch marks). I don't know how MUCH good it can do since I never used it enough to make much difference, but I've heard that it can make them fade to pretty much invisible.

DEpends of the type of scar (keloid etc)

It doesnt do too much for 11 year old scar on my face :( but is amazing on other scars.

But yeah best to start using as soon as possible and use it like twice a day.

If anyones interested the produt Dermatix is also another miracle product for scars. (Costs about £30 but if your GPs nicer than mine you can get it on the NHS). Works better on old scars
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

I havent used bio oil but I used to use palmers scar serum and that worked a treat on some of my old scars a treat (even the ones from burns!). I used to use it on my fresh scars as well and they used to heal with practical no mark on my skin. Took time though, I had to use it once a day for a couple of months to get really good results.
  • Options
    I used to use it and its amazing, I only had a few stretchmarks but they go and i was only using it once a day, not twice. Its quite expensive as its like £13ish but its worth it coz you dont use loads and you have to massage it in. I recommend it to all the mothers who complain about stretchmarks.
  • Options
    Ah bollox, no home bargains near me. I just got mine for £7.50 ish from Superdrug. If it doesn't work, I blame all you lot. I'm a sucker for teestimonials though, so fingers crossed...
  • Options
    been using mine for about 2 months, still over quarter left in the bottle, i use it on the stretch marks at the top of my arms(near arm pit) that i got when pregnant and put on 4 stone then lost 5 stone. They had faded over the years so i didnt think bio oil would do anything but it has definitely blended them in more so i am a surprised but happy consumer!

sorry if i dont make much sense have had a little drink
  • Options
    I've been slathering it on, not noticed any difference yet but I'm willing to keep trying.