Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Graduate jobs abroad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If/when I graduate, one thing which has crossed my mind is working abroad for a few years, to experience another culture, to meet new people, to further understand what kind of lives people live in certain developing countries and also to get the edge when applying for jobs when I get back.

I'll be finishing with a human rights and politics degree, but I also work for the university sustainability department, as well as being an environmental campaigner so whilst most of my knowledge is legal and theoretical, I also have some knowledge of environmental issues.

I'm interested in poverty, especially on the environment and poverty and big corporations although I'll take any job really, which is related to human rights and human wellbeing. I'm passionate about a lot of things.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had any advice on getting a graduate job abroad. I don't mean one of those rich kid rip off gap year type holidays, but real work (i.e. not flying over to Ecuador to plant trees and pretend that somehow it's environmentally friendly, or to cuddle babies and do jobs that locals could be employed to do).

I was thinking India or Bangladesh as I'm interested in that part of the world and a lot of people speak English. I would also happily go back to Nepal.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    I might have a spare room in Vietnam by then. :p

Maybe Laos or Cambodia? Any big city nowadays, and the majority of people will speak some English tbh. A lot of the Indo-China region are trying to promote tourism, and as a result, speaking English too.
  • Options
    Have you thought about European Voluntary Service?
    It is voluntary as the name suggests, but it's not like one of those schemes that cost thousands of pounds. You don't have to pay anything.

I'm sure there are jobs abroad, but I imagine paid positions would be very sought after, you would do well to get some solid work experience behind you.
  • Options
    What's with those "jobs" that you have to pay to do? I mean surely if the job needs doing, someone will pay for you to go out there? I know someone who's paid about £3k to go and teach kids in Ghana ffs. I wouldn't do that for less than £10k a year.
  • Options
    Well if you know of any companies here in the UK that work in the industries you are looking for then investigate to see if they have any overseas operations that you could apply for. This gives you the advantage of going for interviews etc in person and learning more about the available roles before committing.