Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

how the hell can i recover my grade?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i've not been very well over the past month, and as a result, i've missed a bit of time of college. and due to this some of my practical work has suffered. I really really need to bring my grades up. my written work is fine, but my practical is lacking in many areas, purely due to the fact i've not been able to complete it as i would have like to if i had had more time. is there any way apart from doing my best to get my written work perfect, that i can get my grade up. sympathetic grading? i have got medical paperwork to back up my time off.

i can't retake this year, i'd have to re-do the course, as they have changed the syllabus and can't teach the old one after this year, so i would have to re-do 2 years not just 1.

and i need at least a DMM (ABB) to get into uni
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its worth chatting with your tutors/ senior tutors to see what the college can offer you or else you may just have to change to a uni course with lower grades.
    Can you not go to a different college to re-take the year?
    nope it's a nation wide thing....

i am aiming at a uni with lower grades, i was aiming for a DDM (AAB)
    Sounds like it's time to get onto both your course tutors and your personnal tutors if you have one, if you get no where there try the college welfare system if they have something along those lines.

There should be something in the system that allows for ill health, be it extra time to make up on some of the practical work, or slightly different marking.

Don't hold your breath though, really go for it on the written work. Apart from anything else, if your written work is of a higher standard than your practical, it adds to your case that the standard of your practical is lower than it should be because of your illness.
    i've been told that under BTEC guidelines they can't give me any longer on practical work, but i can have longer on written work
    I don't know what course you're doing, but I know I had the same sort of problems with Graphic Design.

Some exam boards set once unit exam a few times within the year, so maybe you can resit the module in summer?
    there are no unit exams...i might present the exam board with a medical certificate
    i might present the exam board with a medical certificate
    best bet is to do that. they won't allow you any compensation for being ill unless you can prove it by a doctors note. otherwise ultimately it might come down to redoing the work in the summer / redoing the year / choosing a university with lower entry grades.
    Maybe you can get yourself hypnotized to be a super brain student .. :)