Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Update on GBH Thread - Out of Prison

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    From a legal/criminal perspective I meant. eg in my case, the people who committed verbal abuse, and did the initial provokation, will get let off completely, and only the people who responded to provokation are charged. Ridiculous.

There's no evidence that they said anything for the coppers to go off. Theres evidence you kicked fuck outta them tho.
    From a legal/criminal perspective I meant. eg in my case, the people who committed verbal abuse, and did the initial provokation, will get let off completely, and only the people who responded to provokation are charged. Ridiculous.

That's the problem with provacation it's designed to get a reaction and in this case you did react (quite extremely imo) if maybe you or your friend had reacted differently this may just have turned out as a nasty slanging match with no assault or charges.
    You could with legal advice claim you were provoked but this would be hard to prove.
    Surely it's common sense that people with zero history of causing trouble would have only reacted to extreme provocation. Anyway don't wanna threadjack this, just annoyed I've gotta take a morning off work when annual bonuses are being decided with this hassle.
    Surely it's common sense that people with zero history of causing trouble would have only reacted to extreme provocation.
    Why are you not listening? There is *no evidence* that there was extreme provocation towards you....
    Wasn't this topic in the other topic closed? I thought the general rule of thumb was that kicking shit out of someone badly enough to put them in hospital and get charged with GBH wasn't excusable by some name calling.......
    I dont think anyone should of been put in a coma but it could easily happen by accident, I mean people have died from one good punch and hit the floor.

Got to be honest if someone said that to one of my mates, I would of given them a slap as well, but I wouldn't of hung around for the pigs
    Surely it's common sense that people with zero history of causing trouble would have only reacted to extreme provocation. Anyway don't wanna threadjack this, just annoyed I've gotta take a morning off work when annual bonuses are being decided with this hassle.

I think a few months inside will bring you down to earth ...... with a fucking big thump.
    I dont think anyone should of been put in a coma but it could easily happen by accident, I mean people have died from one good punch and hit the floor.

Got to be honest if someone said that to one of my mates, I would of given them a slap as well, but I wouldn't of hung around for the pigs

Big difference between a slap and GBH though isn't there. Unless by slap you also mean "to put in hospital".

And by the sounds of it he didn't wait through choice....
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Big difference between a slap and GBH though isn't there. Unless by slap you also mean "to put in hospital".

And by the sounds of it he didn't wait through choice....

Fair points mate.. and yes very big difference you are right!

But my point was we don't know if he gave him a hammering or if he just punched him and he fell and hit his head or something.. I'm guessing from his posting attitude though they gave him a hammering which is definately wrong.

What makes me laugh the most is that someone like Ricardo would even hit someone lol .... and be able to do damage :lol::lol:

It's probably a load of bollocks anyway
    Fair points mate.. and yes very big difference you are right!

But my point was we don't know if he gave him a hammering or if he just punched him and he fell and hit his head or something.. I'm guessing from his posting attitude though they gave him a hammering which is definately wrong.

What makes me laugh the most is that someone like Ricardo would even hit someone lol .... and be able to do damage :lol::lol:

It's probably a load of bollocks anyway

I think from his general attitude, and the GBH charge we can assume he did some damage.
    Yes there is chance the pre-CPS charges have been inflated and the CPS will instead decide to charge for ABH, but you can't rely on that.

I'm just amazed to see he's counting on his upbringing to get him out of it, because if he goes to court with the attitude he has right now the judge will quite happily take him down a peg or 2, especially as he has shown zero concern or remorse for the bloke he punched.

Now don't get me wrong, the guy he punched was quite probably a cunt, there's no excuse for what he did. But beating the shit out of him wasn't called for either.
    Why is verbal abuse completely acceptable yet physical abuse not? ie if someone is being provoked with verbal insults, if they then react by throwing a punch they get in trouble, but not the person who "started" it with verbal insults? Emotional/psychological distress from verbal abuse can be much more damaging for someone than assault they can fully recover from.

The law quite clearly says there is a difference. The racist bloke, if found guilty of racially aggravated public order could get at the most 2 years inside, which is extremely unlikely. More likely he will be charged with non-racially aggravated as there is no proof and will probably get an £80 fine.

You on the other hand are facing 5 years inside if convicted and possibly another 3 months inside for the criminal damage to the mirror.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    he has shown zero concern or remorse for the bloke he punched.
    Yes I feel so awful and upset that I assaulted a racist scumbag who refers to a British-born, well-groomed, middle-class Asian as a smelly immigrant :rolleyes:
    Yeah - lets avoid hijacking this thread shall we?

Maybe when things have moved forward Ricardo you can let us know about it - but for now I think it's pretty obvious what people feel about your actions.
    Yes I feel so awful and upset that I assaulted a racist scumbag who refers to a British-born, well-groomed, middle-class Asian as a smelly immigrant :rolleyes:

let me make it clear, I agree with you that the bloke is a scumbag. But you can't rely on that to condone your actions in court. The laws are very clear on what constitutes self-defence and there is lots of case law showing what amounts to reasonable excuse and other lawful defences. You need to start thinking of something else other than "the bloke was a cunt who deserved it" for court.

I hate soooo much the way that you have to refer to peoples class/university/career/salary no matter what your tealking about. Whether its a peice of cheese of putting someone in a coma.

I never thought somebody on the end of a computer could annoy me so much.

:yes: and that means he deserves his head banging into a mirror repeatedly does it? :chin: Just brings you down to his level imo.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kazbo wrote: »
    :yes: and that means he deserves his head banging into a mirror repeatedly does it? :chin: Just brings you down to his level imo.
    No, lower.
    Been reading through some of the other posts and have to say that I agree that it seems unfair that it always ends up as one person being the victim and the other getting into trouble for stuff. In my case the other guy started off the aggro and just because he was drunker than me didn't do too much harm but he could off. the way the police saw it I was the one to blame and I wasn't. I'm not making excuses and I've got my sentence for it but I still remember the look he gave me in court when I got sentenced and it made me mad. He should have been done for it too.

Anyway thanks for the other advice - I have a job lined up for after Christmas and am looking forward to getting back to normal and having a better year next year.

You are right of course. Your friend isn't a "smelly immigrant".

He's a violent thug.

Grooming, breeding education - it meant fuck all really because the only reaction he had wasn't to use any of that. It was a neanderthal instinct to beat the shit out of someone.

Oh, and as an aside. There whilst he may have been provoked and the judge may take the "race card".... you have no such excuse. You were not abused in any way.

Hope you get a maximum stretch - or have practiced the handshake ;)
    Paul50 wrote: »
    Anyway thanks for the other advice - I have a job lined up for after Christmas and am looking forward to getting back to normal and having a better year next year.

congratulations mate, onwards and upwards i hope.