Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What would you do...?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At the moment I am working in a call centre. I've been there 2 months now and I dislike it like no other job I have ever done. So much so I feel physically sick when I'm at work and have called in sick for today because I couldn't face going in. Thinking about the job makes me feel as though I'm gonna cry! Seriously, I feel like crying.

It pays well (£16k) and I probably won't be able to get another job matching that salary in my area, I have a feeling it pays so well as an attempt to retain staff, they do have quite a high staff turnover dispite this.

I only have to give 1 week notice because I am on a probationary contract, the job is getting me down so much I'm tempted to hand in my notice when I go back (tomorrow) but have no other job to go to.

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are of leaving a job without having another job to go to. I would usually say it's a bad idea, but as I said, I've never done a job that makes me feel like this. I'm 24 and unfortunately never finished my degree, but have a lot of work experience.

Does it look that bad for future employers if you ony work for a company for 2 months then leave without another job lined up? Or can it be explained away?? I know you shouldn't really moan about your last employer to prospective employers....hmmm.

I knew I shouldn't have applied for the job in the first place.

Reasons for leaving: Call centre = bad.

I can't put that on forms now can I?

Help!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    U poor soul!! I think it would be fine to have that on your CV-I think my soul would shrivel up and die if I had to work in a call centre-Im sure there are loads that is suits, but it just wouldnt suit me at all.
    If its making you that unhappy, you should leave if you can afford to be off work for a while. If you arent too fussy what you do to fill in while you look for another "proper" job, then it should be straightforward to find something or other.
    Good luck m8 :)
    Leave. It's not worth it. I left my job without a job to go to, and found it pretty easy to get others.

Reasons for leaving: Call centre = bad.

I can't put that on forms now can I?

I worked in a call centre for a month and left left cos it was so shit. I told my next employer that my reason for leaving was that they treated their staff like shit and it was a crap working environment
    Yeah if you can afford to leave then go for it. You could just say to your next employer that you wanted to work somewhere where you were more committed to the work u were doing/company values and where there was more scope for professional development and quickly came to realise that that wasn't available at the call centre.
    You could always temp until you find a permanent job. In fact an agency will also help you find something permanent.

Call centres are soul destroying! fact!
    i wouldnt leave a job personally without having something to go to, speak to some agencies they maybe able to sort you with something sooner than you think.

call centres are shite, tis true.

gaps on CVs never look good to be honest and puts people off.
    Leave if you can afford it, if you cant go and see some agencies asap and get them looking for a temp/perment job that better suited to you.

I left my job this year to go travelling and it took a few weeks for an agency to get me a temp job once I got back. I dont care about the gap on my CV, I was burnt out and needed the break.
    I'd just leave. I don't personally think it's that big a deal to have a mini-gap on your CV. If it seems it's going to be a big issue in interviews just blag that you went travelling or took a break for personal reasons... it's never been a big issue for me or anyone I know. No point running yourself down with stress and unhappiness for some horrendous job in a call centre. Even if it does pay 16k a year, you can't polish a turd [job]... even with a good salary.
    Man, I love that saying-you cant polish a turd
    I decided to leave, handed my notice in today, massive weight off my shoulders…

Just the small matter of finding a new decent job now, I really wish I knew what to do about careers; I’m 24 and just wasting time in jobs that are going nowhere. Ahhhh hahaha! Maybe I should do a TEFL course and teach for a year…but then I’ll be in the same boat a year from now.

I think there must be a lot of people in a similar situation….Maybe I’ll just be one of these people that falls into a job that they love and has real prospects….Or maybe not.
    Leaving is the best choice because if you balance the advantages with the disadvantages, you will only have the good payment in the advantages part. And even with the payment, you're a smart woman, you can get something better, maybe not with a higher salary, but with a bigger salary package of benefits. Besides, there's nothing more important than feeling fulfilled by your job, feeling that satisfaction everyone is after.
    And about your job search process and about you picking the right job. How about restraining your search in the area you have been prepared for? You say you don't have a degree yet...how about getting one, not necessarily a college one or uni, you can get a certificate after having done a 6 months course.

Steph
    I worked in a call centre for about 6 months then got fired for not meeting targets, ive had no problems gaining employment afterwards in fact most employers have been pretty sympathetic and mention how horrible call centres are - so i wouldnt worry too much