Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Basic Photographic ID

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
seeing as i'm likely to have the possiblity of driving taken away from me for health reasons, i won't be able to get even a provisional licence. i don't want to be taking my passport out with me to clubs and stuff, so is there something else that i can use as proof of ID/age? do the citizen cards still exist, and does anywhere accept them or is there something that is accepted thats not a passport or drivers licence?

Comments

• Options
    Citizen cards, or something very similar does still exist, although more and more places (certainly around home and uni) are only taking passport or driving license.
  • Options
    Citizen cards, or something very similar does still exist, although more and more places (certainly around home and uni) are only taking passport or driving license.

This is what my friend found, he spent a lot of time going out with us and then going home again...

Surely you can get a provisional though, you don't need to pass any health tests I don't think. That doesn't mean you can pass, but... it's ID!
  • Options
    seeing as i'm likely to have the possiblity of driving taken away from me for health reasons.

Most epileptics are only not allowed to drive for a year, unless of course there's another reason you're not allowed to drive?

I'm in a similar situation - I'm not allowed to drive for health reasons (might be able to if the current drug trials go well and the drug becomes licenced) and I efuse to pay £72 just for a passport for ID. However, there are certain places that only accept driving licences or passports.
  • Options
    Epileptics aren't allowed to drive for a year after their last fit, so can only drive if the condition is under control and stable.
  • Options
    Epileptics aren't allowed to drive for a year after their last fit, so can only drive if the condition is under control and stable.

she doesnt want to drive, she jsut wants use it for proof of age, which imo should be fine, the police won't care as long as you don't drive with it as far as i'm aware - can't remember the last time police asked a person on the street for ID (which is a good thing)
  • Options
    Problem is, if you're not allowed to drive then you can't get a provisional license.
  • Options
    They still have the citizen card leaflets in my closet garage and DO accept them as proof of ID. I should think most places will because you stil have to get a photo signed to say who you are. Things friend might have just been unlucky, but maybe pubs and clubs don't like them. When do you need ID, is it to prove your age for cigs/booze or to actually prove who you are?
  • Options
    A lot of shops, supermarkets, pubs and clubs accept any card with the PASS hologram on it. Citizencard is the main one. Fake ID websites have ruined it for you I'm afraid.
  • Options
    It depends exactly what you're trying to do. If you're trying to buy alcohol, they tend to be a lot fussier with what can be accepted. The one other group who are extremely fussy when it comes to ID are the banks.
  • Options
    If we're checking people's identity for proof of age or for some other reason we normally only accept driver's licences or passports. The other ones can be forged too easily.

As for the driver's licence, I was under the impression that you could still apply for a provisional, just can't drive with it, a note would be recorded on the online file. I might be wrong, but it's worth asking the DVLA.
  • Options
    As provisonals are a lot chepaer then passports, even if you medical conditions preventing you from driving, at least ask the DVLA if you can apply for a provionsal regardless.

I have a provionsal which is used for ID purposes only as I have no intention on learning to drive again for a long time.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If we're checking people's identity for proof of age or for some other reason we normally only accept driver's licences or passports. The other ones can be forged too easily.

A lot of faith in the government endorsed and trading standards audited PASS card scheme then?
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    A lot of faith in the government endorsed and trading standards audited PASS card scheme then?

I've had no experience with the PASS cards, which can come in a 101 different guises and none of which have the stringent security checks like a passport or driver's licence. I'm also quite au-fait with the security features on the latter.
    A citizen card or connexions card has a hologram and doesn't need signatures from a professional and someone who has known you for 5 years.
  • Options
    A lot of pubs and clubs in Newcastle don't accept provisional licenses, just for the record. I'm not entirely sure why but the last few times I've been out I've witnessed lots of people getting turned away/bumped because of it's not a full driving license. Seems a bit unfair, you can't get pissed because you can't drive... makes more sense to let the non-drivers get tanked up surely ;)

Fella behind the bar said it was because they're not subject to in-depth checks when issued so you can apply with fake details and sometimes get one issued. Sounds like a load of codswallop to me but they were turning custom away so there must be something in it....

Er, on topic, they only accept driving licenses and passports in most pubs round here. The ones that will accept anything else are generally the ones that never ask for ID in the first place!
  • Options
    citizen card should be enough

"Recommended by Trading Standards, the Police"
    http://www.citizencard.com/

"All UK retailers, pubs, clubs and other establishments are advised by the Police, Trading Standards and government to accept any proof-of-age card that bears the PASS (Proof of Age Standards Scheme) hologram, including CitizenCard. If you have problems using your CitizenCard please contact us."
  • Options
    i'm trying to use it to buy alcohol mainly, but seeing as i'll be buying a hell of a lot of food with my bottle of cava and such i doubt the girls at tesco will ask, especialy as i go there all the time and know about 5 of the till staff. but i do need a drivers licence for getting a switch card and my £100 overdraft. and aparently the post office doesn't have the citizen card forms any more. or their staff are just ignorant and unhelpful.