Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

stoopid cash machine :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Paid £80 into my account this morning as I need to buy something online...

On my way home from work, i went to an ATM to check that the money had gone in before ordering my things

However, when i enquired about my balance, the machine froze! It then proceeded to reboot and come back on, but it still had my card.

Rang the number on the machine and basically got an idiot on the other end who did nothing to put my mind at ease!

It was 3.30pm, so i flew the bank (not literally haha) to explain what had happened

a new card will be sent to me within 7 days (hope so as its only 12 until the final delivery date for what i want to order )

I suppose its more of a rant than a question...any1 else ever had this happen? Does it actually take 7days or do they just say that to cover their own backs?

What are the chances of my card being spat out after i left?

I'm worrying so much, I feel sick :(

Nice time of year for it to happen huh?x

Comments

• Options
    Machines don't spit cards out again, they've got an inbuilt thingy which means if in any doubt they swallow all cards which then get put through a secure shredder.

The 7 days thing varies, it's what they've always always said to me, and I've got them 2 days later, or 2 weeks later.
  • Options
    I really hope it doesnt take 2 weeks :(

i could cry
  • Options
    I got my card sucked up by the machine once. Didn't take long for my new card to come through though.
  • Options
    Pain in the arse right enough, but I got my card chewed up a while ago and I got my card in two days.

I think sometimes they say 7 working days or whatever to cover themselves, fingers crossed you get it soon!
  • Options
    i have everything crossed Bri - or my fella wont be having a very merry christmas :(

cheers for all the input guys
    x
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Pain in the arse right enough, but I got my card chewed up a while ago and I got my card in two days.

I think sometimes they say 7 working days or whatever to cover themselves, fingers crossed you get it soon!

:yes: It's the same with a lot of things tho. They'll be sent out first class pretty much straight away, but if there's tonnes of workload (i.e. when there's a massive rush of people going 'I spent more money than I had and you charged me £30, give it back' [not that im for the charges, just that some people really have no clue on their own finances...]) then there could be a queue of maybe 500 cards before yours to be sent out.

If you need cash you can take ID to the bank and withdraw it there :). Unless of course you're intending to make an online purchase, in which case it's no good....
  • Options
    yup, its an online purchase, so i neeed it

x
  • Options
    Littleali, you should be OK.

A mate of mine's had a card swallowed on Christmas Eve 2005 at an Abbey bank. That took more than a week simply due to Christmas Day, Boxing Day and NYD all being bank holidays, delaying the process.
  • Options
    Most banks say 7 days just to cover themselves in case the card gets stuck in a mail backlog, most tend to be there in 2/3 working days :)
  • Options
    If your buying it offline i take it you don't know your card number off by heart? Cause if you do all you need is your card number experiy date and security code and your good to go!
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    If your buying it offline i take it you don't know your card number off by heart? Cause if you do all you need is your card number experiy date and security code and your good to go!

Not really, it'll be blocked as a collected card.
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »

i know all those things off by heart, but as mist said, the card will be blocked now as i have reported it to the bank

x