Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Showing off your CV on MySpace, Facebook, LinkedIn etc

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Yes - I get emails every few hours saying someone has posted on my FunWall, despite me not having a FunWall app installed, and can't see anywhere to remove that notification. Really annoying.
    You can block it if you go to the application homepage. I had to it was pissing me off.
    Within credit, people who focused on the sub-prime CDO, RMBS stuff caused the problems. So, a very tiny part of the banking bubble, a bit unfair to label all "investment bankers" the same, no?
    So, what will happen to these people who focused on credit? Have the banks sacked the lot of them? I somehow doubt it.
    No - headhunters use sites like Facebook now to find people - they'll type into the search box a job title, up will come all the people who do / have done it, if you're on London network the London people come up first, I've had a few headhunters approach me about jobs due to my Facebook profile. So it does have its uses to increase your potential opportunities, just wondering if detractors may think it looks too arrogant/conceited.

Talking shite.

Employers do search hopefuls up on facebook though to see if they're cut for the job or not complete wierdos, they don't use it to look for employees initially.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Employers do search hopefuls up on facebook though to see if they're cut for the job or not complete wierdos, they don't use it to look for employees initially.
    The thought of that makes me feel pretty nervous, actually. I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of my boss, or potential bosses looking around social networking sites to find out about me. Just suppose you gotta make sure that anything "incriminating" (for want of a better word) is hidden away.
    If someone puts good jobs they do on facebook I think they are bragging and it can seem arrogant. If someone puts up their shit jobs on facebook as a CV in an amusing way I don't mind.
    Here is an email I received from a club promoter called www.MetParties.com yesterday:

Quote:
    Wednesday's at Aura: Bring 20-25 good quality comps, male or female (can charge if you like and take extra commission) before 11.30pm & get paid 100 pounds plus you get a hosting table & bottle of vodka to share with guests!
    Saturday's at No.5: The crowd here is stunning... we're looking for people who can bring 25+ good quality guests, a combination of guys & girls, maybe majority comp girls & paying guys... deal is you get a hosting a table & bottle of vodka, 70% commission on your paying guests (10.50 per person) plus 3 pounds per comp girl before 11pm...

I used to get spam e-mails from MetParties the whole time I was at university. Constantly. I mean who the fuck bases their choice of venue for a night out on an unsolicited spam e-mail? What's worse is that they would use different e-mail addresses to send them out everytime so blocking them didn't help (and they must have known the e-mails were unwanted if they set up new e-mail addresses everytime to avoid being blocked). I'm surprised you'd want to be associated with such a shambolic company Ricardo.
    Talking shite.

Don't tell me I'm "talking shite" when I have been contacted by two headhunters who said they found me on Facebook, and three on LinkedIn. It's not the employers who search for people on Facebook, it's headhunters - external organisations who find people through whatever random means on the off-chance of success, and get a nice commission cut if the employer uses them. So say an employer tells the headhunter they want a Strategy Consultant with 2+ years experience, the headhunter just needs to type into Facebook "Strategy Consultant", have their regional network set to the right city, and up come some potential people.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I used to get spam e-mails from MetParties the whole time I was at university. Constantly. I mean who the fuck bases their choice of venue for a night out on an unsolicited spam e-mail? What's worse is that they would use different e-mail addresses to send them out everytime so blocking them didn't help (and they must have known the e-mails were unwanted if they set up new e-mail addresses everytime to avoid being blocked). I'm surprised you'd want to be associated with such a shambolic company Ricardo.
    Well, it works, as proven by the existence of the likes of MetParties.. the biggest company like this Nick House Entertainment make £3m a year, largely by unsolicited spam. Send 50,000 Londoners a spam email about a party or two happening that week. Around 1% will actually be up for a night out, didn't have any plans, so sign up to the guestlist. Getting 500 people into a club charging £15-20 entry and taking most of that as commission they make £7,000+ for a couple of nights. Do that every week and you have a massively profitable company. It's actually illegal here to send unsolicited spam but they always claim they got the address through a legal means eg someone asked to be signed up with that address (clipboard at nightclub), no way to prove otherwise.
    My CV isn't out there for the world to see as I don't think it would make the slightest bit of difference to my career. The closest is that a friend of my boyfriend's on facebook (and IRL) is a PA for one of the consultants at the Chelsea and Westminster and she's going to line up some work experience for me.

Jumping on the tedious bandwagon, I think it's your fault that the country is the state it's in, people like you in your line of work are the scum of the earth and if my children get my nose that's your fault too.
    Aren't you worried about people pinching your CV? Still, most people aren't going to be headhunted so there isn't much point in having it up there.
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed how easy it is to just not read that guys posts due to the way he insists on changing the font?
    Yep. Don't see what's wrong with the Verdana font myself.

However, he's not the worst. On the plus side, at least he doesn't make every single word into a different colour or perhaps worse, deliberately start using bold text like this. Or the other tricks that noobs use of suddenly making the text huge or TYPING IN CAPITALS FOR NO REASON.
    Has anyone else noticed how easy it is to just not read that guys posts due to the way he insists on changing the font?

Try it, it works for me 99% of the time

Or just stick him on ignore. It's pretty obvious by now Ricardo's posting style, and he's always going to upset someone with what he says. But at the same time, it's pretty predicable that whatever he posts will be followed by 5 posts about how shallow he is, etc, I don't get it, if he's that offensive, ignore him, I don't see the point of getting so het up over it :confused: (and yes, I do have masochistic tendencies that I deal with in a healthy way ;) ). Much as I don't like a lot of what Ricardo says, biting the bait is just going to make other people as 'bad' as he does. Just doesn't seem worth it.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    That would normally go into P&D, but they're too busy prattling on endlessly about religion at the moment.

On the thread you started? ;):p

No, I don't have my CV on Facebook, nor is the page accessible to anyone other than my friends. I don't see an issue putting your jobs on there though, just so your friends can see what you've been up to.
    On the thread you started? ;):p
    Hoist by own petard!
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Yep. Don't see what's wrong with the Verdana font myself.

However, he's not the worst. On the plus side, at least he doesn't make every single word into a different colour or perhaps worse, deliberately start using bold text like this. Or the other tricks that noobs use of suddenly making the text huge or TYPING IN CAPITALS FOR NO REASON.

:lol:
    Don't tell me I'm "talking shite" when I have been contacted by two headhunters who said they found me on Facebook, and three on LinkedIn. It's not the employers who search for people on Facebook, it's headhunters - external organisations who find people through whatever random means on the off-chance of success, and get a nice commission cut if the employer uses them. So say an employer tells the headhunter they want a Strategy Consultant with 2+ years experience, the headhunter just needs to type into Facebook "Strategy Consultant", have their regional network set to the right city, and up come some potential people.

Fuck up ya fruit. :D
    Fuck up ya fruit. :D

Try it, it works for me 99% of the time

I've found this as well.
    If someone puts good jobs they do on facebook I think they are bragging and it can seem arrogant.

My thoughts exactly.
    I'm proud of what I've achieved so far and I've mentioned it on Myspace and listed it on Facebook (really dislike Facebook though, it's ten times worse for clutter than Myspace).

If people think I'm arrogant for liking what I do professionally I don't give a shit. Normally I tend to be quite chuffed when I find out my friends get jobs they wanted, and I also enjoy seeing what people I've known in the past are doing through their profiles.

I wouldn't put an entire CV out though. I use these things for networking and I don't do the kind of work that is likely to see me recruited through the internet anyway.
    OMG every single fucking post, do you have to bring it around to that subject????????

NOONE HERE GIVES A FUCK

POTW.

I dont go around telling my CV to people I know never mind randoms on the internet (I dont use social networking websites).
    Wow, Ricardo vs Stargalaxy.

Whoever wins, we all lose.
    Don't spammers get banned? :p
    Hang on, so Ricardo isn't Jomery?!?! :confused:
    BumbleBee wrote: »

Apparently so. But they are very similar.
    BumbleBee wrote: »

The geeky analogy would be that they're like Ken and Ryu from Streetfighter 2. They have all the same moves but Jomery wears red pajamas instead of white.

I'm suprised at your poor knowledge of the banking sector and credit crunch stargalaxy considering how much of a high horse you were on when posting about it.. you were way off the mark.

And how people can hate a certain type of trade like a banker is beyond me, they are out raping and killing kids ffs.

Everyone likes capitalism when it works in their favour though huh.
    The geeky analogy would be that they're like Ken and Ryu from Streetfighter 2. They have all the same moves but Jomery wears red pajamas instead of white.

:lol: potw

POTW!! :D

So thats about 3 nominations for POTW in one thread. Is that a record??
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Pringle wrote: »

So thats about 3 nominations for POTW in one thread. Is that a record??

Probably not, but some of the responses in this thread really are ridiculous. As go_away said, if you don't like someone's posting style then just ignore them rather than kicking up such an absurd fuss.

If anyone has anything more to say about social networking and CVs then go ahead, otherwise this thread will be closed. :yeees: