Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Showing off your CV on MySpace, Facebook, LinkedIn etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
To what extent do you put your work experience & education history on profiles like MySpace, Facebook and LinkedIn?

Do you think people who list all their CV stuff online are insecure / showing off / feel the need to brag? Would you rather be much more secretive / private? Or do you think it's useful to self-promote and make yourself known in today's world where certain careers are very competitive and every bit helps?

Rick

(Note - this may apply more to people in their 20s with "careers" than teenagers doing part-time jobs)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Out of those, I am only on facebook, and my profile is restricted to friends only.

I have a few places I've worked on there, but not every single place (as I've worked at a lot of different places).

As the site is aimed at networking with friends, I can't really see the point of putting your whole CV up. The places I have up are places where I have found friends who also worked there with me.
    i would NEVER put anything of the sort on those social networking sites, i dont see the point.

facebook is pissing me off now its turning more like myspace and the like with all these stupid funwall posts and crap like that.

hope something else comes along soon. i took to facebook because it was simplistic, btu now its gone shiat.
    katchika wrote: »
    As the site is aimed at networking with friends, I can't really see the point of putting your whole CV up.
    No - headhunters use sites like Facebook now to find people - they'll type into the search box a job title, up will come all the people who do / have done it, if you're on London network the London people come up first, I've had a few headhunters approach me about jobs due to my Facebook profile. So it does have its uses to increase your potential opportunities, just wondering if detractors may think it looks too arrogant/conceited.
    facebook is pissing me off now its turning more like myspace and the like with all these stupid funwall posts and crap like that.
    Yes - I get emails every few hours saying someone has posted on my FunWall, despite me not having a FunWall app installed, and can't see anywhere to remove that notification. Really annoying.
    Well I doubt anyone would be interested in headhunting me, or most of the people on facebook.
    Ricardo, are you anything to do with Project Entourage? Just been looking at that link.
    katchika wrote:
    Ricardo, are you anything to do with Project Entourage? Just been looking at that link.
    Yep, well more helping my mates out than working for them full-time. Basically London nightclubs pay Entourage to bring high-quality, beautiful people to the clubs, so we do talent-spotting / hiring of fitties, get them on board mingling with the crowds etc. Fun thing to do if a student, access to top venues, network with big businessmen etc.

Just to go off on a tangent here I am fed up with how much people try and state that looks don't matter, you should just judge people on their personality etc. Welcome to the real world where looks are very important in some industries. Here is an email I received from a club promoter called www.MetParties.com yesterday:

Wednesday's at Aura: Bring 20-25 good quality comps, male or female (can charge if you like and take extra commission) before 11.30pm & get paid 100 pounds plus you get a hosting table & bottle of vodka to share with guests!
    Saturday's at No.5: The crowd here is stunning... we're looking for people who can bring 25+ good quality guests, a combination of guys & girls, maybe majority comp girls & paying guys... deal is you get a hosting a table & bottle of vodka, 70% commission on your paying guests (10.50 per person) plus 3 pounds per comp girl before 11pm...
    double post
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Yep, well more helping my mates out than working for them full-time. Basically London nightclubs pay Entourage to bring high-quality, beautiful people to the clubs, so we do talent-spotting / hiring of fitties, get them on board mingling with the crowds etc. Fun thing to do if a student, access to top venues, network with big businessmen etc.

you sound so much like jomery, change the record please
    Ballerina wrote: »
    you sound so much like jomery, change the record please
    I was asked a question "Ricardo, are you anything to do with Project Entourage? Just been looking at that link." and answered it ffs.
    Just to go off on a tangent here I am fed up with how much people try and state that looks don't matter, you should just judge people on their personality etc. Welcome to the real world where looks are very important in some industries. Here is an email I received from a club promoter called www.MetParties.com yesterday:

OMG every single fucking post, do you have to bring it around to that subject????????

NOONE HERE GIVES A FUCK
    I was asked a question "Ricardo, are you anything to do with Project Entourage? Just been looking at that link." and answered it ffs.

now you're going off on a tangent about 'the beautiful elite' and how looks matter. It's different outside london anyway. I think most people are sick and tired of your snobbery and bragging at any given opportunity.
    OMG every single fucking post, do you have to bring it around to that subject????????

NOONE HERE GIVES A FUCK

Word up Suzy :thumb:
    Ballerina wrote: »
    now you're going off on a tangent about 'the beautiful elite' and how looks matter. It's different outside london anyway. I think most people are sick and tired of your snobbery and bragging at any given opportunity.
    Why not just answer the question in my first post then instead of derailing the thread further.
    I'm not the one who derailed. Anyway, no I don't because;
    1. No one would be interested in me anyway, too young etc
    2. It's all friends only for privacy
    lets derail it some more with a picture of a chicken in a tracksuit?

p.s. he's not attractive enough to be my friend tho

chicken-1.jpg
    lol

To answer the question - No. I don't think anyone would really care even if I did.
    lets derail it some more with a picture of a chicken in a tracksuit?

p.s. he's not attractive enough to be my friend tho

chicken-1.jpg
    :D

But no, I don't. Apart from having my uni stuff and OMG I WORK AT McD's, not that anyone would care.
    NOONE HERE GIVES A FUCK

Post of the Week :D
    Well (P)Rick, If I remember correctly, you work in the banking sector. Yep, the very same industry full of morons who've got the world economy in the shit at the moment. It's thanks to greedy, useless, incompetent bankers that we've now got a credit crunch. But will the vermin who got us into this be punished? Will they all be sacked and burnt at the stake? Of course not. They'll just be thinking ahead about how big this year's bonus is going to be, won't they? Doubtless it'll be another record year, naturally. And people wonder why we all hate banks. But I digress.

I think those who brag about the companies they've worked for on places like Facebook are just being very silly and insecure. I do wonder, however, in what sector is this practice most common-place. I'm told that Law is an incredibly competitive field at the moment. Do we have solicitors and lawyers across Great Britain PLC lining up to tell the world where they've worked, for instance? I'd be interested to know.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Well (P)Rick, If I remember correctly, you work in the banking sector. Yep, the very same industry full of morons who've got the world economy in the shit at the moment. It's thanks to greedy, useless, incompetent bankers that we've now got a credit crunch. But will the vermin who got us into this be punished? Will they all be sacked and burnt at the stake? Of course not. They'll just be thinking ahead about how big this year's bonus is going to be, won't they? Doubtless it'll be another record year, naturally. And people wonder why we all hate banks. But I digress.

I think those who brag about the companies they've worked for on places like Facebook are just being very silly and insecure. I do wonder, however, in what sector is this practice most common-place. I'm told that Law is an incredibly competitive field at the moment. Do we have solicitors and lawyers across Great Britain PLC lining up to tell the world where they've worked, for instance? I'd be interested to know.

jeebus, that was deep man. let it all out. let it out.
    jeebus, that was deep man. let it all out. let it out.
    That would normally go into P&D, but they're too busy prattling on endlessly about religion at the moment.
    Well (P)Rick, If I remember correctly, you work in the banking sector. Yep, the very same industry full of morons who've got the world economy in the shit at the moment. It's thanks to greedy, useless, incompetent bankers that we've now got a credit crunch. But will the vermin who got us into this be punished? Will they all be sacked and burnt at the stake? Of course not. They'll just be thinking ahead about how big this year's bonus is going to be, won't they? Doubtless it'll be another record year, naturally.
    Good knowledge, all spot on. It's pretty funny really - http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/187.html
    Good knowledge, all spot on. It's pretty funny really - http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/187.html
    And in case you're wondering, the (P)Rick bit was a joke.
    EDIT: And like everything the two Johns do, that clip is hilarious.
    Yep, the very same industry full of morons who've got the world economy in the shit at the moment.

So everyone who works for a bank is a moron, huh? :chin:.
    Franki wrote: »
    So everyone who works for a bank is a moron, huh? :chin:.
    I'm talking about the investment bankers - the idiots who've been trading "debt packages" and other nonsense.
    I'm talking about the investment bankers - the idiots who've been trading "debt packages" and other nonsense.
    Fair enough. You shoulda made that a bit clearer, like.
    Franki wrote: »
    Fair enough. You shoulda made that a bit clearer, like.
    I've actually softened in my attitude towards bank staff in recent months. I actually find the staff at my local NatWest branch quite helpful. Hence why I now do my banking with them. Nah, it's the investment bankers I don't like.
    I don't put anything CV like up on facebook, I use it for social networking type stuff, keeping up with friends, laughing at each others photos etc.

My profile is deliberately restricted so only my friends can I see it, like to keep that and work type stuff separate. I've got bried details in the employment history bit, but they are trivialised and aimed at letting people I don't see much know what I've been doing.
    Nah, it's the investment bankers I don't like.
    You do realise investment bankers have absolutely nothing to do with the credit crunch? Not everyone who works in a merchant bank is an "investment banker". "Investment bankers" are the ones who advise corporates on mergers/acquisitions, provide financing through IPOs or leveraged buyouts etc. The credit crunch was caused by a small number of people in the Financial Markets side. Within financial markets people buy/sell foreign exchange, stocks/shares, interest rates, bonds, commodities, and credit. Within credit, people who focussed on the sub-prime CDO, RMBS stuff caused the problems. So, a very tiny part of the banking bubble, a bit unfair to label all "investment bankers" the same, no?