Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job interviews **Rant Alert**

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Drive me fucking nutz :banghead:

I went for an interview a month ago, but still haven't heard anything.

Its really annoying, it cost me the best part of £200 and a long day of traveling for this interview. I thought the least I could expect would be a letter saying 'thanks but no thanks'.

They only thing thats going to make me feel any better is by sounding off with a load of abuse, but its probably not a good idea.

**Rant over**

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried calling them back to let them know you are still interested and to see where the hiring process is? I've always been told calling them, whether it be after just giving them your resume, or after an interview, is the most important part. I don't know about there, but here the end of the year is the worst time to find jobs, with hiring freezes and budgets and all that, so although they may have had interviews, they may not be allowed to hire anybody until further into the month or even January.
    To save yourself such pain in the future, always ask at an interview when you should expect to hear from them (though really a good interviewer will volunteer such information.)

I'm tempted to say that if you've not heard after a month that you haven't got it, but, actually, that's not always the case. Some places just drag things out for various reasons. (Larger companies particularly.)
    Mist wrote: »
    To save yourself such pain in the future, always ask at an interview when you should expect to hear from them (though really a good interviewer will volunteer such information.)

I'm sure he said two days.

I have pretty much accepted I didn't get the job, I just need a rejection letter to stop my mind doing overtime.
    Many places don't bother these days it seems.
    I had an interview about 2 years ago and they said even if I was unsuccessful I would hear back from them within two weeks.

I'm still waiting :chin:.
    yeah chase them up!

i'm waiting to hear back from a job interview and they told me end of last week, was fully prepared to ring them yesterday but got a email saying they were still sorting things out and would be in touch soon.

starting to think i might not have got it tho....its just the mind playing tricks.

it was the hardest interview known to man as well. i hate it when theres like 3 people all going at you
    It's a bit tight that they are leaving you hanging on, what sort of company is it?
    I'd definitely chase it up. Especially as it wasn't an ordinary interview and you put in a lot of time, effort and money for it. I hate it when they don't respond at all. It's just rude.
    I did email over a week ago, but haven't heard a peep. I'm reluctant to call them and make things anymore awkward.

They even took my travel receipt as they said they would refund my travel, but nothing as of yet, its like the company has disappeared off the face of the earth.
    was it a big company or a smaller one?
    was it a big company or a smaller one?

Its a trade body so its small. In my experience though, the big companies are the worst for fucking you over.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Its a trade body so its small. In my experience though, the big companies are the worst for fucking you over.

I think the opposite actually... smaller companies have less procedures in place. A larger company will have a proper HR function for example.

I think you should call them though x
    i feel for you. i had an interivew yday and was told id find out at lunch time 2day and its already driving me mad...
    lipsy wrote: »
    I think the opposite actually... smaller companies have less procedures in place. A larger company will have a proper HR function for example.

I think you should call them though x

Which, in a very large company, wouldn't necessarily be involved in the interview process.

I reckon you're more likely to get a written response from a smaller company. But even then I wouldn't count on it.
    Many places don't bother these days it seems.

Indeed. But it costs them nothing to be rude (not tell someone they haven't got the job) compared to having to write a letter or phone someone up to tell them they haven't got the job.
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Calvin wrote: »
    ...it cost me the best part of £200 and a long day of traveling for this interview....

Didn't they reimburse your travel costs? I think a lot of places do.
    Saeed M wrote: »
    Didn't they reimburse your travel costs? I think a lot of places do.

They said they would, which is really cool, cos most places don't bother.

I left them my travel receipts and they said they would send me a cheque. Even if I didn't get the job I was at least expecting the cheque. But as of yet -nothing!

:thumb:
    Which, in a very large company, wouldn't necessarily be involved in the interview process.

I reckon you're more likely to get a written response from a smaller company. But even then I wouldn't count on it.

Well that's more than a smaller company without any HR department at all. I think the opposite but that's just my experience.