Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cervix bleeding and colposcopy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well had my gynae appointment yesterday.

I've been booked in for a transvaginal scan cos they don't really know what's causing my abdominal pains. And I've been given two types of antibiotics just incase I have an infection.

But when they did an internal and swab taking and smear my cervix bled a lot and the first doctor that saw me got a second doctor to have a look up there cos something didn't look right.

What they've told me is that they think some of the lining of my uterus has come out and causing bleeding from my cervix. This confused me when I thought about it cos surely if the lining of the uterus comes out of the cervix it bleeds as a period... Think I've not quite got my head around something there.
And I can't remember what they called it. But aparently it can happen when you're on the pill. (I've looked on google and can't find it, and everything I google brings up stuff about cancer which is not making me feel good).
But aparently it looked quite sever if it is the uterus lining thing.

I have to have a coposcopy in January so they can take a closer look to find out if that is what it is and possibly take a biopsy.

Has anyone got any idea what the name of this thing I've discribed is.
And has any of the ladies had a biopsy taken from 'up there' cos it sounds really painful. I may need this thing frozen off too; which also sounds painful. I'm slightly terrified.

Comments

• Options
    i've had a colposcopy, it's really not too bad, uncomfortable and embarrassing for me? yes! but not painful really. they sat me in a chair like a dentists chair which went up, i had my legs in stirrups and then the bottom of the chair dropped out when i was high enough and let everything hang out. they lasered a piece of my cervix off after giving me a local anaesthetic ( i had pre-cancerous cells), it wasn't too bad really. i wasnt allowed to take a bath or have sex, or use tampons for 6 or 8 weeks after as it can cause infection.

Don't worry :)
  • Options
    i've had a colposcopy, it's really not too bad, uncomfortable and embarrassing for me? yes! but not painful really. they sat me in a chair like a dentists chair which went up, i had my legs in stirrups and then the bottom of the chair dropped out when i was high enough and let everything hang out. they lasered a piece of my cervix off after giving me a local anaesthetic ( i had pre-cancerous cells), it wasn't too bad really. i wasnt allowed to take a bath or have sex, or use tampons for 6 or 8 weeks after as it can cause infection.

Don't worry :)

Was the local anesthetic put on like a cream/spray or something... wasn't injected was it? :nervous:

The dentist chair thing sounds even less appealing than the normal doctors couch thing.
    Did you take someone with you to the appointment?
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey Lu C

There's a few really good Q&As on Netdoctor that I think you might find helpful and put your mind at ease. Have a look at the one on cervical erosion, which sounds similar to your symptoms.

Hope this helps :thumb:
  • Options
    I had one a couple of years ago, and it was fine, just like having an internal really (i.e. with a speculum etc).

I took a friend with me and the dr turned the screen towards us :eek2: so we could see my cervix in all its glory :eek2: she didn't take a biopsy as the lump was a normal variant of tissue, but all in all, it was bearable.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    go_away wrote: »
    I took a friend with me and the dr turned the screen towards us :eek2: so we could see my cervix in all its glory :eek2:

Nice! Bet you thorougly appreciated that one! ;)

Lu_C, I have had abnormal bleeding for years, and they dont know what it is. I know it probably wont be particularly pleasant, but surely it is best to know what is causing it for a few moments of unpleasantness? I hope you get it sorted hun.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Was the local anesthetic put on like a cream/spray or something... wasn't injected was it? :nervous:

The dentist chair thing sounds even less appealing than the normal doctors couch thing.
    Did you take someone with you to the appointment?

i'm pretty sure it was injected but i honestly can't remember...thats how much of an impact it made! my mum came with me but it really isn't as bad as you think it will be x
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Well I guess it's not the type of thing you can stop feeling nervous about; but hopefully it's not as bad as I'm imagining.