Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Agoraphobia + depression / fatigue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so for about a year now i've had really bad agoraphobia. I cant go out most places, it makes me feel absolutely awful, i get stomach problems, i become disorientated and panic. I havnt really made much progress, i had a bit of consuelling and see a shrink every so often, im also on propranolol (beta blockers) citalopram (anti depressants). I also been feelin a bit down obv since i dont have much of a life atm. But the thing is i feel DRAINED of engergy all day long. I find myself need to sleep a lot, i try to stay awake cause i know its not a good idea to sleep during the day but i find myself fighting to keep my eyes open. I try to exercise but i just feel like im about to collapse all the time. I told the doctor about all of this and they insist its all part of my anxiety/depressions. I just dunno what to do, its like im stuck like this, but not only that, i feel pretty awful both physically and mentally all the time (weither im out or not).

I just wondering if anyone else suffers / has suffered anything similiar and how they got out of it?

Could it be the medication thats making me feel so ill?

Any other suggestions???

Any help would be very much apreciated!

Comments

• Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey Jonny8888,

Sorry to hear you're feeling down at the moment.

Agoraphobia affects around 5% of adults and although it's not known what causes it, there are a number of treatments that you can get to help you.

Counselling is the best start to overcoming your fears. Cognitive behavioural treatments (CBT) is probably the most common treatment associated with agoraphobia (not sure if this was the one you are getting). Many patients find that this therapy provides a lasting relief and they are able to go back to their normal routines.

Anti-depressants are also commonly used to treat anxiety disorders , like you mentioned. Another less common treatment for agoraphobia is hypnotherapy.

There is also evidence that aerobic exercise, like swimming or running, can have a calming affect on sufferers. If you are feeling too tired from a certain type of exercise you could try a less demanding or less physical one.

There are loads of helpline numbers that I would recommend trying. They'll be able to give you some great advice. No panic Aims to aid the relief and rehabilitation of people affected by anxiety disorders. Their helpline is 08088080545 which is open everyday from 10 - 10. You could also try the National Phobics Society. They provide a listening service and information on phobias and all anxiety disorders. Call them on 0870 7700 456. They're open Monday - Friday 9.30 - 5

Also check out some of the articles on TheSite.org that I've linked to. They could be helpful in understanding and overcoming your problems.

Hope this helps :thumb:
  • Options
  • Options
    I didn't get agoraphobia, i did get very anxious though in town and college, even around my family. it felt like the walls were caving in on me. I felt like i was having a breakdown and i probably did, i don't know. i was very depressed, and it's taken about a year at least to try and get myself back on track. i didn't get given anything medication wise and hated counselling, so i just worked through the emotions and developed some coping mechanisms, eventually this made me feel loads better, because i could do it all myself and get on with life without having to drag out or dwell on things. don't get me wrong, it's awful, and like you, i'm going through quite intense fatigue and all i can do is pace myself and eat properly and continue my own personal healing process.
    just give yourself time, work through it, you will be fine.
  • Options
    You're fatigued and you're on beta blockers? To be really honest, i'm not surprised.

I once had IV propranolol and it felt like i'd been hit by a train. It was an effort just to move...
  • Options
    hmm i might try cut down on the beta blockers then
  • Options
    You're fatigued and you're on beta blockers? To be really honest, i'm not surprised.

I once had IV propranolol and it felt like i'd been hit by a train. It was an effort just to move...

:yes:

Not just propranolol either, when I was on citalopram I slept 17 hours a day.
  • Options
    I definitely think you need to ask for a medication rethink.

I've never heard of beta-blockers being used to treat agoraphobia before now - was it a last resort treatment?
  • Options
    Naw it just seems to help with the stress/anxiety side of things, but then the tiredness just totally kills all motivation, so yeah i think i will talk to my doc about reducing my dose or going off it completely.