Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Teaching assistant - experience, qualifications??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

What experience or qualifications do you need to be a teaching assistant?

I'd be interested in working as a teaching assistant in a primary school, but don't know if I have the right experience.

Also how would you go about actually getting a job as a teaching assistant? Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Technically, you don't *need* any qualifications but a lot of schools do prefer you to have NVQs, probably Level 2. It depends on the adverts and schools. Some don't specify qualifications. Have a look at them. Most are advertised on council websites. For example, Sheffield's are on www.sheffield.gov.uk. Look at your council website. Other places to look are jobcentreplus, local newspapers etc.

The right sort of experience is experience in schools. If you haven't done much in schools, then get yourself into one, volunteering. Christmas is coming up. Schools like as many hands on deck as possible because it is a really busy time with one thing and another.
  • C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    hey,

Check out learn directs page on becoming a teaching assistant.

:thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks guys :thumb: Am checking out that website now, C Funk, thanks!
    Schools only take on level 2/3 qualified people for staffing now so to be a TA (teaching assistant) you would need to either do a night class or a part time or full time course. Alternitivly if experience allows you to do so a school may take you on but insist you do an NVQ alongside working there.

In other words, be prepared to study.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    Schools only take on level 2/3 qualified people for staffing now so to be a TA (teaching assistant) you would need to either do a night class or a part time or full time course. Alternitivly if experience allows you to do so a school may take you on but insist you do an NVQ alongside working there.

Not all schools take on Level 2/3 TAs. It depends on the school.
    *Ashlee* wrote: »

I'm taking a gap year next year and was considering doing a few months as a teaching assistant to see if I really do want to go into teaching. Was planning on doing a PGCE after that anyway, so not studying isnt really an option.

Definitely need a gap year though. Have spent all day messing about on the internet instead of working on my essay. Gah!