Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

TO CENSOR OR NOT TO CENSOR?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I don't know about you guys, but film censoring for television really pisses me off!
If a film has an 18 certificate, why bother censoring it? you watch a film for entertainment and sometimes to get a shock (if it's a horror film), but you tend to find that it's craply edited.
It really spoils it for mature viewers because they're editing the violence, sex or whatever that gets the film its certificate, just so that it's suitable for minors.
If a film is going to have violence or sex that you disapprove of, you gonna switch over anyway.
In my opinion you either show the film without editing it or not show it at all.
Ok, so some films, eg FIGHT CLUB are gonna have graphic violence that the director or film board are gonna edit. But they don't need editing twice, do they?

OPEN YOUR MIND...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok, here's news for you:

Sunday Times reports that the head of the censoring office wants "a sex shop in every town." I think he would disagree with your view that a lot of films are over-edited.

In response to your topic, my personal opinion is that films should be censored less, and that viewers should be given a more information to be able to make a better-informed choice.
    The weird thing about editing for T.V is that it really isn't done for n e reason expect to cut the film/program down to size.(U never see a film in a cinema that lasts 2 hours exactly)
    They choose violent bits for some weird reason, but not usually the most explicit bits. The reason they choose the violent bits is that nothing ever happens in them, no talking which is the most difficult to edit, they usually end fairly abruptly so they r easy to edit out.
    It's not really to do with the scenes themselves, all films r edited for T.V it's all a scam that if they say they're editid for nudity sex scenes an violence then people r more tolerant towards them.
    Censorship really annoys me. TV censorship is often ridiculous and can ruin a film. The worst example has got to be Midnight Run (Robert DeNiro, Charles Grodin). The full version features some of the most imaginative and funny use of foul language ever to grace our screens. Almost all of it has been excised for the tv version (Fun you you muddy funster).
    A really wierd one was the film Deep Cover which was on C5 last week. The film wasn't cut but the main song on the soundtrack is by Dr Dre and Snoop Doggy Dogg. The version at the end of the film has no swearing in it and sounds a lot better than the full on sweary version on the soundtrack album.

Anyone else find it a bit wierd that society views swear words which are essentially sexual in nature as being far worse than words describing violence?
    I'd rather be fucked than stabbed.
    censoring is <censored> annoying cause you can never <censored> tell what anyone is <censored> saying cause of all the <censored> bleeps.

For example. Jerry Springer. Who watches that at midnight? Adults NOT children. So why do they cut out the swearing? I heard worse at school.
    Thing I'm getting annoyed with is censoring of music on MTV... whjats the point?? thers no age limits on the CD's so y do they censor it on TV?
    Originally posted by Daze:
    Thing I'm getting annoyed with is censoring of music on MTV... whjats the point?? thers no age limits on the CD's so y do they censor it on TV?

Classic example Rock DJ by Robbie Williams
    Totally agreed Daze. On Eminems 'The Way I Am' when they show it in the day on MTV, they bleep out stupid words that aren't even swearing like 'shoots' and 'heroin'. It really annoys me !
    What really makes me larf is the sad old fucks that r doing the censoring. They don't know the truly bad words in our generation and what they mean!

Anyone see Ali G's first video 'Innit'?

He says some dirty words and blatantly takes the piss saying that the ppl that censor the video don't even know what they mean so they don't remove them! lol!
    I think we could teach the people who censor the programmes a few words they have never heard of too. I think if you choose to watch a film and you dont like what you see or hear, you can turn it over. Why spoil it for the rest of us who like a bit of violence, sex or swearing.