Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Something Fishy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A couple of nights ago there was this overpowering odour of fish in the house. I hadn't cooked any, asked the neighbours and they hadn't cooked any so any ideas where it might be coming from ?

Not cat food, but was wondering if it's coming up from the sewer as there's a downstairs toilet and the soil pipe is open to the air.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This happened to me a few years ago. Was in the attic in our holiday home in cornwall.... and it smelled fishy, couldn't figure out why.

A couple of days later our next door neighbour was found dead in his armchair. He'd been there for a couple of weeks at least; and had the fire lit.

Just a thought....
    It's a possibility, though if that's the case we took a corpse to Webb's garden centre today and it bought me a coffee and an apricot danish :)
    its amazing what they can do nowadays!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We had a smell in our flat that was rather fishy. Once we investigated further we found a dead mouse under our fridge

Could one of your cats have taken in a present and hidden it somewhere?
    Sorry this thread's made me laugh so much :hyper:
    Dead people don't normally smell like fish. Think overpoweringly bad, so bad that you can taste it, a combination of festering flesh, undigested food, bile, urine and faeces.

*shudder*
    Check your light fittings... I heard once that sometimes old light fittings can give off a nasty smell. Take all your lightbulbs out and clean inside with a dry cloth (Or a damp one!!) and then replace the lightbulbs. Don't know why this happens but apparently it does.

or it could be the drains.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Dead people don't normally smell like fish. Think overpoweringly bad, so bad that you can taste it, a combination of festering flesh, undigested food, bile, urine and faeces.

*shudder*

Oh Gooooood !! Lovely....:yuck: :lol:
    Hurrah. Found out.

It's from.........................................the main light in the back bedroom !

Leigh was in the back bedroom sorting clothes out and had the main light on, fishy smell. And it clicked that the smell always starts upstairs when that light's on. Waited a few days tried it again, and fishy smell. Did it a 3rd time (just to make sure) and fishy smell.

Leigh looked round the net and apparently when plastic (the light fitting)gets old and heated up it can create a fishy odour or it's the the glue (as some glues are made with fishbones) that was used to make the glass shade.

:)
    Had a similar problem at my grans house many years ago.
    My dad's just moved house and my OH was changing a light fitting for him and it smelt like this....it's really disgusting :yuck:
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    oh my god, you have been living with that smell since November!
    Bugger me! You have a strong tummy!
    Bunnie wrote: »
    oh my god, you have been living with that smell since November

No ! Only occassionally when the main light's put on in the back bedroom.