Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Christmas Decorations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When is the right time to put them up?

Me and my mum can't decide. Is next week too early?
I went passed a house last week and they were fully kitted out for christmas...nativity in the garden and everything and it's not even December yet :eek2:

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Probably over the weekend if the flatmate gets her own way!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My parents are away and I'm seriously considering decorating the house tomorrow for when they get back... but I doubt I will. Our decorations will probably go up around the 10th, or when I can be bothered :D
    TOMORROW!!!!! :hyper:

Very excited!
    I think any point after the start of december is acceptable really. I probably won't bother until i get forced to though!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    12 days before Christmas - ie 13th :yes:
    12 days before Christmas - ie 13th :yes:

I thought it was 12 days before, but my mum said the 12 days is for when you take them down, as in 12 days after christmas hm..:chin:
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I thought it was 12 days before, but my mum said the 12 days is for when you take them down, as in 12 days after christmas hm..:chin:

I do both. The decs go up 12 days before and come down 12 days after :thumb:
    Everybody in my street have done theirs, it's like a bleedin competition to see who can give us a migraine the fastest.. :lol:

We're not putting ours up until like 12 Decemberish
    On my drive to school I noticed that someone had put up their decorations before my birthday (which was 13th Nov). It had the hugest Homer Santa Claus you did ever see. I'm surprised it hasn't been nicked yet, giving the area that they live in ...
    Mine go up on the 1st, except this year I'll be doing them a bit later.
    this weekend :D
    Ours go up on Sunday :D
    About the 20th
    Fuck knows, the old dear sorts all that shit out. lol
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    piecesofme wrote: »
    When is the right time to put them up?
    That's kind of complicated... The correct date is calculated by this function:

f(x,y,z)=(x^2)^4/(y*x^(y-2))+y*345*(x^4*z)/z

Where:
    x=Your birth moment (down to the exact second)
    y=The moment that the day of your 1st birthday began
    z=Midnight at Christmas of the current year.
    (All these in UNIX time, of course).

If more than one person is going to do the work, this has to be calculated for each one separately and the correct time is the average of the results.

However, since it's understandably difficult to calculate (not to mention that most people don't know the exact second they were born), it's considered acceptable to do it any time within December.
    im putting mine up tomorrow :hyper:
    went to 'the range' this afternoon and bought meself a little tree for my room plus some tinsel etc

as for the living room, im decorating it whether my housemates like it or not!! i think im the only festive one in the house :(
    That's kind of complicated... The correct date is calculated by this function:

f(x,y,z)=(x^2)^4/(y*x^(y-2))+y*345*(x^4*z)/z

Where:
    x=Your birth moment (down to the exact second)
    y=The moment that the day of your 1st birthday began
    z=Midnight at Christmas of the current year.
    (All these in UNIX time, of course).

If more than one person is going to do the work, this has to be calculated for each one separately and the correct time is the average of the results.

However, since it's understandably difficult to calculate (not to mention that most people don't know the exact second they were born), it's considered acceptable to do it any time within December.

:lol::lol::lol:

Middle of December sometime. Before the bloke arrives from Sweden so I've got a lovely fortnight pine-needle-free in front of me!

Growing up, we always put them up at home on my parents' wedding anniversary which is December 15th. No fancy meals, champagne and caviar for them... more like a trip into the dusty attic and evening spent untangling Christmas lights.
    I half decorated my bedroom earlier this week, just lights - then at the weekend I'll black tape and snow spray the windows. Then maybe the weekend after that, the rest of the deccies go up - tree and random hanging/wall things.
    My brother ha sjust told me he's putting our lights up tonight but they won't be switched on till everything else is up on Sunday.
    Probably next weekend
    24th dec, ready to come down in the evening on 25th, of course.
    They should go up 1st Dec!:thumb:
    way to early atm.
    mid-december
    I was going to put them up this weekend but going to do it on monday or tuesday.
    With kids around I want to make the christmas season all magical. Before Lenny came along my christmas decorations consisted of some fairy lights over my cheeseplant :D
    I wish I still was a kid, I love Santa:( :D People think I'm loony cos I go mad when I see santa or just generally christmas I go mental! :blush:
    always on the 20th, cos it's my mum's birthday on the 19th and she doesn't like to share!!
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    I wish I still was a kid, I love Santa:( :D People think I'm loony cos I go mad when I see santa or just generally christmas I go mental! :blush:

my parents never made that big of a deal, and in some ways i wish they did cos i dont have all the magical memories that some kids seem to
    Mine normally go up on 1st December (I have an advent calendar which someone made for me, so it seems appropriate to put them up around the same time) but I was somewhat busy on Saturday, so they went up on Friday. It looks all sparkly and magical now :)

My parents never made a fuss (my Dad would be buying the cheapest, barest twig on Christmas Eve) so I think I like to do it early because I didn't enjoy it being done so late when I was younger!
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    Me too, I adore Christmas season... not especially santa, but I love the decorations, especially lights! I swear I turned into a kid last Friday when I went into town to see the Christmas lights :D
    Dear God people, give the rest of the year chance.

Traditionally it's supposed to be the 24th December, the eve of Christmas. Although personally, anything before 14th seems way too premature to me.

Truly devout Christians won't even put a tree up, of course. Seeing as the tree element of the festivities has more to do with the pagan festival that the Church latched onto.

Christ was an August baby anyway. :p