Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stay away from Virgin Media broadband (non-cable)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
had a right barny with them the last couple of days.

since friday i have not been able to play xbox live at all (which is what i mainly use the internet for)

spoke to them a few times and they say its a prob at my end, so i posted on a few forums and it basically is down to virgin who have implemented some new traffic calming measures (since friday surprise surprise).

ive just spoke to their support again and they agreed it was down to that and couldnt guarenteed it would be fixed but maybe in a week or so.

so fuck em, im cancelling tomorrow when retentions are open, im not paying my £50 cancellation fee or paying out the remainder of my 12 months.

they havent fulfilled their side of the contract and if they want to argue i'll happily take them to the small claims court.

all this from a company who are currently in partnership with MS promoting their virgin broadband service as ideal for XBL.

twats

Comments

• Options
    Yeah that's the STM or Subscriber traffic management crap.

Back when it was Telewest it was just fantastic. There was NO limits but that all went down hill when NTL took over.

I don't know if you know how STM works koe ? It's only supposed to hit the top 5% of huge downloaders or something to that effect but it goes well beyond that from what I read regularly on the net through various other forums. There is no sign of it going away either which is a shame.

Basically limits your internet connection until around midnight but even then I've read people saying it's gone on for longer than that ! I personally have never found I've been restricted with STM although I don't really download, unless it's legit software from the likes of download.com or filehippo etc however I do play xbox live online and have my PS3 on the PSN.

It is a joke though. I don't really think there is anything we can do about it either but I would like to add though that other than STM and as much as I have a certain dislike for " Virgin Media " all my other services work perfectly even my broadband.

As a company however, bit of a joke really by all accounts. I don't say that as fact of course just opinion that seems to be scattered all over the internet.
  • Options
    I'm having a right fiasco with VM at the moment (cable) .. post code ST17. Online gaming is a no-no and I keep breaking up on Skype / Teamspeak, constant loss of packets when pinging to www.google.co.uk. Even worse, the Google page takes 30 seconds to load, and that's no joke.

The problem is.. how can I explain that to an Indian call centre operative? All they'll suggest is virus / spyware, but I am a technician myself and know how to keep a computer clean.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Monserrat wrote: »
    The problem is.. how can I explain that to an Indian call centre operative? All they'll suggest is virus / spyware, but I am a technician myself and know how to keep a computer clean.

Ask to speak to a supervisor or manager, they are normally English or have a better grip of the lingo.
  • Options
    edn1 wrote: »
    Yeah that's the STM or Subscriber traffic management crap.

Back when it was Telewest it was just fantastic. There was NO limits but that all went down hill when NTL took over.

I don't know if you know how STM works koe ? It's only supposed to hit the top 5% of huge downloaders or something to that effect but it goes well beyond that from what I read regularly on the net through various other forums. There is no sign of it going away either which is a shame.

Basically limits your internet connection until around midnight but even then I've read people saying it's gone on for longer than that ! I personally have never found I've been restricted with STM although I don't really download, unless it's legit software from the likes of download.com or filehippo etc however I do play xbox live online and have my PS3 on the PSN.

It is a joke though. I don't really think there is anything we can do about it either but I would like to add though that other than STM and as much as I have a certain dislike for " Virgin Media " all my other services work perfectly even my broadband.

As a company however, bit of a joke really by all accounts. I don't say that as fact of course just opinion that seems to be scattered all over the internet.

yeah i know about the STM, this is a new issue tho, was only implemented on friday morning. on peak hours they are prioritising port 80 traffic or something to improved browsing speeds, however VOIP and online gaming stuff has suffered the consequences.
  • Options
    just spoke to bloody cancellations and they said there will be a £50 charge, so i said no there isnt, let me speak to your supervisor.

anyway apparently there is a 4 hour wait to speak to a supervisor.

im gonna give them an hour and then call back.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Fuck that, tell them to call you back!

4 hour wait shows how many complains their are!
  • Options
    should have posted here before, after speaking to them 4 or 5 times they have accepted there is nothing they can do and are letting me cancel without paying £50, which is good.

finally sorted.

think im gonna go to PlusNet or ADSL24
  • Options
    Go with sky :D

I've not had problems with them at all, it's all plug and play :D
  • Options
    i dont have sky tho, think ADSL24 is gonna be the winner at the moment, waiting for my MAC from virgin first anyway.

i fancy BT with the home hub and the rest of the shebang but i've read reports they aint much better than virgins at the moment
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I'm having a right fiasco with VM at the moment (cable) .. post code ST17.

ST16 and Virgin Media just keeps randomly cutting out. It's driving me madbut I'm not even bothering to call them. It's too much stress.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    i dont have sky tho, think ADSL24 is gonna be the winner at the moment, waiting for my MAC from virgin first anyway.

i fancy BT with the home hub and the rest of the shebang but i've read reports they aint much better than virgins at the moment

A work friend has bt with the home hub and says that the ADSL service itself is reasonable but the hub is a POS.
  • Options
    before you cancel.... My boyfriend had loads of trouble (they got his name wrong when he moved despite him having been with them all along, and it locked him out of his account)... he basically asked them what they were prepared to do for him to make up for the fact that they messed up. Eventually he gor a whole years rental out of them, and didn't have to pay a bill. If you are prepared to stand firm and make a fuss you can get loads of money back!
  • Options
    byny wrote: »
    before you cancel.... My boyfriend had loads of trouble (they got his name wrong when he moved despite him having been with them all along, and it locked him out of his account)... he basically asked them what they were prepared to do for him to make up for the fact that they messed up. Eventually he gor a whole years rental out of them, and didn't have to pay a bill. If you are prepared to stand firm and make a fuss you can get loads of money back!

i have cancelled and would rather leave than stay and get any money back to be honest. pile of crap VM are.
  • Options
    adsl24 looks quite expensive ;/. I'm with ukonline at the moment, 8meg for 22 quid or something, absoloutely no limits (and i should know ;))

and if you give my email on signup you get a free month :)

(oh and 100% uk tech support who actually pick up the phone after 5 rings is decent too, aswell as the easynet connectivity it shares)
  • Options
    tried them noogie, and they said they could only give me 2mb, which isnt what i want.

im paying £19.99 with ADSL24, get 30gig peak times and 300 off peak. that'll do me for now considering i usually download the big stuff overnight anyway.

thats 8meg, also apparently the download limits aint stuck to and they dont charge you for giong over ;)
  • Options
    Ahh, you're probably not in their LLU area I guess. :(