Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mobile phone tariff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there!

I have a mobile phone question. I have been with T-mobile for years after getting baboozled by a 'man in the street' and taking a fairly crap contract which I have never changed. I get very few texts, few minutes, the rental is about £20 but my bill is generally around £70+ a month! This is probably beause of the amount of texts I send.

So my contract is coming to an end and for once I have decided to change it! I see Orange has a phone deal which would give me 500 mins free and unlimited texts. The contract is £35 a month but I recon with all the free texts and time I probably won't go much over it. Also - if I order now they will give me a 'free' Dell Lap-top.

sound like a good deal? I am a complete numpty when it comes to things like this!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The newer t mobile ones are much better, mine is 30 quid a month and I get 180 to spend on texts or phone calls. Only things not included are internet and the usual numbers that arent covered by your contract

ETA just realised didn't actually answer your question at all! Yeah it sounds good especially if you get a free laptop! Is the contract 12 or 18 months
    You should also look at who it is you are texting and if there is other ways to contact them.

For instance I hardly text but if I were to it would be to my friend who is usually logged into MSN Messenger anyway - I'm with 3 mobile and get free MSN messenger so can send him instant messages back and forth through that - also has Skype now for 10,000 free messages and 4,000 free voice minutes between skype users.

All that would come to £10 a month on PAYG.

There's loads of deals out there anyway with all the various networks.

Carphone warehouse has also launched their own SIM card I believe it starts from £5 per month
    It's an 18 month contract...

ou have to do it before the end of Nov and you only get the lap top after you have paid your first bill.

here

and here
    Is it the orange dolphin tarrif?
    If so it's really good if you text a lot and you also get a magic number in which you can choose another orange number to ring for an hour a day for free (it won't come out of your 500 minute allowance)
    If you set it up online thought they give you 600 minutes a month instead of the 500 you would get if you were to do it in the shop, but at the minute i think they are doing £150 cahsback on any mobile instore which is pretty good. It was £100 when my boyfriend siged up so basically he got 3 months of your contract paid for with that.
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    Is it the orange dolphin tarrif?
    If so it's really good if you text a lot and you also get a magic number in which you can choose another orange number to ring for an hour a day for free (it won't come out of your 500 minute allowance)
    If you set it up online thought they give you 600 minutes a month instead of the 500 you would get if you were to do it in the shop, but at the minute i think they are doing £150 cahsback on any mobile instore which is pretty good. It was £100 when my boyfriend siged up so basically he got 3 months of your contract paid for with that.

oooh thanks for that. I am a bit of a numpty when it comes to these things, hence having the same tariff and contract for 5 years! I am going to do it tomorrow! Just need to let T-Mobile know I no longer need their services.
    What is an Iphone? What does it do?

I really only use my phone for taking calls and sending texts, maybe the odd photograph... but I never use any of the internety type functions or the music stuff, so would an Iphone be any use?
    byny wrote: »
    What is an Iphone? What does it do?

I really only use my phone for taking calls and sending texts, maybe the odd photograph... but I never use any of the internety type functions or the music stuff, so would an Iphone be any use?

Nope, it's jsut the latest fad, and the tariffs for it are pretty crappy as well as having to spend tons on an iphone when you can get almost any other phone for free on a contract.
    :hyper:

I am lost. Lol.

To me £35 for texts and minutes I probably won't go over, and a 'free' lap top seems like a good deal :)
    I think it sounds like a good deal.

I'm on £35 a month for 600mins and 400texts which I rarely go over - it's the Orange Canary contract.

I think 02 are doing some decent contracts for £25-£35 with lots of free mins.

If you go into Phones 4 U, they sit down with you and ask you how many mins of calls you make a day, how many texts etc, who you call the most, and draw up a chart of your monthly calls and messages. Then they suggest suitable tariffs. It's quite useful, and you can always go along to find out what are the best deals, then be cheeky and say 'thanks but no thanks' after they've done the test...

I think 02 are doing some decent contracts for £25-£35 with lots of free mins.

Yes they are. They're currently doing an 18 month contract for £35 a month with the latest Sony Ericcson phone. My sister upgraded hers and they gave her a 12 month instead of 18 as she's been with them for a few years or so.
    Nope, it's jsut the latest fad, and the tariffs for it are pretty crappy as well as having to spend tons on an iphone when you can get almost any other phone for free on a contract.

Exactly. I'm sure my O2 Ice (which was out age ago) does very similar things and has bluetooth on it... Someone I know, worked out that it would cost them £1600 (over 18 months) if they got the iphone.
    Get your last bill out.

Add up what was on it, how many texts and how many calls.

Will the Orange contract you want definitely cover that? If the answers yes then it's a good enough deal. A few of my friends have it and they all like it, very rarely go over and when they do it's not by much and all on calls to numbers not included.
    I've been with Orange for years and they always have really good tariffs. I'm on pay as you go (because I don't trust myself on contract)

I top up by £20 a month and get 600 free messages :)
    Its times like this when i wish i hadn't put myself into debt with Orange. :impissed:

Damn bad credit :banghead: !!!
    Before you move to Orange, though, give the T-Mobile cancellations line a call and say you want to quit the service. They might give you a deal better than Orange if you explain what they are offering. (Obviously not the laptop, of course, but maybe something else - and I'm dubious about a free laptop anyhow.) Especially as you've been with them for years and frequently over-spend.

The cancellations people can give you a lot better than the headline deals. (Though I reckon they are not as slack these days as they used to be, because a lot of people have cottoned on.)
    If you don't need a phone then O2 do a 12 month contract, £12 a month for 200 minutes and 200 texts.
    Get your last bill out.

Add up what was on it, how many texts and how many calls.

Will the Orange contract you want definitely cover that? If the answers yes then it's a good enough deal. A few of my friends have it and they all like it, very rarely go over and when they do it's not by much and all on calls to numbers not included.

did this in the end :) New phone should be here tomorrow. I called T-mobile to cancel and they insisted I call back the next day because It would be exactly one month before my contract ended. So I did that and THEN they gave me the hard sell (Saying they could offer me a better deal etc) but I figure that they never once offered me a new deal while I was paying sometimes over £80 a month to them on a shit contract so I have gone for orange. If my last few bills are anything to go by I won't go over the free calls and texts, and loads of my friends are on Orange too.

Don't get the Lap-top for another month though, which is a pain as my boyfriend has one and we end up fighting over it in bed ;)

thanks for all the advice :)