Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bit of a Mixture...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I apparently took out Payment Protection Insurance on a sofa loan in 2004. I say apparently because I don't recall doing it nor being asked if I wanted it. Still, when I wrote to complain and ask for my money back using the templates on MoneySavingExpert.Com they told me that it was my responsibility to read everything I signed etc. This was fair enough and since it only amounted to about £200 I was prepared to let it go. They then cancelled the PPI on my behalf. However, the letter also stated that in November 2004 I called their helpline and enquired about PPI and was given 'expert advice' and decided to go ahead with the PPI anyway. This is a complete and utter lie since in 2004 I was so shy I wouldn't even call for a pizza let alone a financial institution's helpline!

I wrote back to the sofa loan company and asked for proof, under the data protection act, that I had called them. I stated that I required a response within 14 days. I also asked for a settlement figure as I now want to pay the loan off ASAP so they don't get any further interest out of me. I got a letter today saying that they are sorry they cannot deal with my complaint as yet but they will get back to me as soon as possible.

Does this count as a response for data protection applications? I thought they had to provide the information I requested within 14 days. I did say that if there was a fee I would like an invoice or bill and I would happily pay. I am beginning to think that the data protection act isn't something that would cover this scenario, or they have realised they simply made this telephone call up and don't know what to do!

So, my question is this: was it right to ask for this information under the Data protection act or not? And, does this vague response within 14 days count as the reponse they legally have to give?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think they just have to respond within 14 days. Sometimes things take a bit longer to deal with.

Give them some time, but dont let them take the piss.

:thumb:
    Calvin wrote: »
    I think they just have to respond within 14 days. Sometimes things take a bit longer to deal with.

Give them some time, but dont let them take the piss.

:thumb:

Darn! I want my settlement figure :(
    ask them for the settlement figure again as a seperate issue- that shouldn't take them longer than 14 days.
    BumbleBee wrote: »

I wrote back to the sofa loan company and asked for proof, under the data protection act, that I had called them.

Does this count as a response for data protection applications? I thought they had to provide the information I requested within 14 days.

So, my question is this: was it right to ask for this information under the Data protection act or not? And, does this vague response within 14 days count as the reponse they legally have to give?

The Data Protection Act 1998

The person who has their data processed has the right to:

View the data an organisation holds on them, for a small fee, known as 'subject access',
    Request that incorrect information is corrected,
    Require that data is not used in a way which causes damage or distress,
    Require that their data is not used for direct marketing.

So in answer to your question you can view any information that they have, however i'm not sure you can demand it within a timescale.