Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

running

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i wanna tone up my bum and thighs as they've gotten a bit dimply with the weight i've put on would running be a good idea mixed with pilates, also want to flatten my stomach as its getting a bit of a pot belly.

Comments

• Options
    If you want to run, make sure you've got a good pair of running shoes. I went to a shop where they video you on a treadmill to see how you run/land. I liked interval training a lot, but the biggest difference in fat loss came down to strength training.

Diet is one of the most important factors in gaining muscle or losing fat. You can't outrun your fork ;)
  • Options
    dont wanna lose too much weight as the doc told me i had to gain it as i'm 5'6 and weighed 8st but now i'm about 9stone and healthier its just tonening it all up
  • Options
    Toning up to most women means lower body fat than they already have with muscular definition. It's a confusing term as it doesn't stipulate whether the person wants to build muscle, or lose fat. Without using the term tone up, what are your goals? Do you want to change your body shape, do you want to be a smaller version of what you are now...etc

Are you wanting something that looks a little like Alison Stokke or Jessica Biel? :yum: I think that's what most women think of when they say toned.

allison_stokke6.jpg

jessiciabiel.jpg
  • Options
    i wanna look like that lol
  • Options
    If you are on a treadmill, I've alway heard that walking up a steep incline is better for working your bum and thighs than running.
  • Options
    Try to run on soft ground, such as dirt. If you must run on pavement, avoid the sidewalk and go for the road, it's slightly softer.

The worst thing that can happen is getting shin splints from the hard pavement within a few days of starting to run, it can be a real setback.
  • Options
    i wanna look like that lol

Build muscle, burn fat, in whichever order you desire. Eat well, don't cut out carbs, get plenty of protein and occassionally enjoy something sugary or fatty. Lift heavy, run sensibly, have a search and read the links I have posted in the past. Enjoy it.