Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

stolen things?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i need help. I left some of my things in his house because I was moving flats and needed to store a bag somewhere and my pet bird. One day we had an argument. After a few days I came to collect my things but he said he threw them away and he gave my bird away to charity. I suspect however that he still have my things. Either way what can I do about this? thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Report it to the police. Regardless of what he says he did with the stuff, he still took it without your permission.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Report it to the police.
    would they actually do any thing about it? the guy freely gave his things and put it in the care of this other person so surely it would not amount to theft?
    otter wrote: »
    would they actually do any thing about it? the guy freely gave his things and put it in the care of this other person so surely it would not amount to theft?

this is what im concerned with... perhaps the police cant do anything

anyone have any ideas for revenge? :naughty:

:yes:

So if you freely gave someone jewelery or money to look after and then they said they threw or gave it away then since you freely left it in the care of the other person then it wouldn't be theft?
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Hi,

If he knew you were leaving your stuff there then you can definitely report him to the police for theft - the fact you had an argument makes it sound like a revenge attack. I don't think you should let him get away with it. If you tell him this is what you plan to do, you never know, he may be able to 'locate' your items again. Because this is involving a pet, this is far more serious than if it was just a few items of clothes...

Check out this for help and advice:

Reporting a crime