Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Social Networking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I'm conducting research into the use of social networking websites in emergency situations.

Please spare 2 minutes to complete my online questionnaire. All answers are completely anonymous so your privacy will be protected.

Link to questionnaire

Thanks for your help.

If you require any further information, please contact me.

Comments

• Options
    it's a good idea but the emergency situations to me seem unrealistic
  • Options
    Yeah not sure how that would work in an emergency. Last thing I would be thinking about if a bomb had gone off or a plane flown into our building would be to update my Bebo page.
  • Options
    I can understand why you may think like that now.
    But the idea behind the need for an online 999 system, is that the current model simply cannot handle the amount of calls for assistance in theses situations.

Social networking sites are a powerful way for many people to organize groups, share information and communicate with each other, so I'm doing research into whether this model will be suitable for an emergency response system.

Your opinions are appreciated by they way, and I would be greatful for anymore thoughts you have.
  • Options
    Dave is in immediate peril!!.
    13s ago
  • Options
    ah okay, did the survey
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    O_o wrote: »
    13s ago

:lol::lol::lol:

Superb!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    O_o wrote: »
    13s ago

haha! That is a cracker!
  • Options
    Did the survey, have some comments.

Generally this is a good idea. However, it should only be used as an amendment of traditional service, and more importantly not as an excuse to not increase emergency telephone service capacity according to needs.

Moreover I don't think such a website is suitable in all situations, for example those "between life and death" accidents where time is a very critically factor and where few individuals are involved.
    However, for ongoing major crisis' like war, natural disasters etc. social networking could be a welcome media for providing information, helping people location family and friends and so on.
  • Options
    The objective of the project was never to replace the current 999 system, only to aid it.

The problem is the number of calls recieved by the 999 service is out numbering the resources avaliable to respond on a normal day by day basis, so even if you did get more people answering the phones, there wouldnt be enough people to respond to them. This is a problem, but is solved by prioritising inncidents and responding accordingly.

In a major emergency this problem is 100 times worse, so the emergency services change their operational structure into a hireachy to help resolve the issue. This system works in a crysis focused in a small area such as 9/11, but this system fails in large area disasters such as Hurrican Katrina.

A social networking model will allow people to work together to resolve issues and also be a key resource in providing information and resources from services which people may not be famiiar with such as aid from voluntary organisations.

I can't release the survey results yet because it is still on going, but I can say that other people have expressed opinions similar to your own. Thanks for your help.