Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Giving food to a big issue seller

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Outside where I work, there is a big issue seller. I see him quite often when I leave work, have had a fair few chats with him, and bought the big issue a couple of times.

Today, I had made a lunch for myself, but ended up going for a meal with a friend. Therefore, I had my lunch left when I left work. I decided instead of throwing it away, to give it to the big issue seller, and after asking if he'd like it, he happily took my sandwiches.

While walking away a woman approached me, said she had seen what I had done, then started shouting at me, saying that if I feed people like that, they will spend the money they do have on 'crack' etc. She then said she knew this as she had been abused at a homeless hostel once, although she now looked like a well kept, middle class lady. In my opinion she was totally off the mark, and that in many ways, giving food to a homeless person is a better idea than giving them money.

Am I missing something here, is what I did actually wrong and was this woman right, or was she just a nutter? I would be interested to know what everybody else would do in the same situation as I was in.

Comments

• Options
    no you aren't missing anything, i think she was well off the mark. I'm trying to arrange to go around london and giving xmas food to the homeless or work in a shelter xmas eve or day seeing as i'll be alone this xmas
  • Options
    Should of just told her to mind her own fucking business.

We are all entitled to give (money, food or time) whatever we want to whichever causes we choose.

Its up to you what charities you give, and well done, most people wouldn't think twice about throwing their unwanted food in the bin.

:thumb:
  • Options
    she was a fucking nutter. Dont worry about it.
    I think its nice to give food.
  • Options
    after giving a couple of quid to a homeless person who asked me for money a friend said "why do you give them money they will just spend it on alcohol or smack"

i'd spend my money on alcohol or smack if i was homeless.
  • Options
    DJHyde wrote: »
    Am I missing something here, is what I did actually wrong and was this woman right, or was she just a nutter? I would be interested to know what everybody else would do in the same situation as I was in.

It was a lovely gesture on your part. Don't let some hag diminish your kind heartedness. :thumb:
  • Options
    What a rude woman!! All you did was give your lunch to someone else because you'd eaten - far better than it going to waste! Loads of people take drugs, homeless or not. You could have given it to Joe Bloggs in your office who regularly pops pills. Would she have had a problem with that? :banghead:
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    i'd spend my money on alcohol or smack if i was homeless.

Man it's cold out there at this time of year, and until you become homeless, it's dificult to comprehend the 'normal' things that suddenly become unavailable to you. I remember when I was homeless, I couldn't see a GP because I didn't have an address. When I told the receptionist I was sleeping in my car, and which car park they could find me in she told me to "go away and think about what my address was" before she would let me see a GP- BITCH!

Anyway, yeah, if they want your food, then it's fine to give it. If they don't want your food, then well, I guess it would just be a waste.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Should of just told her to mind her own fucking business.

We are all entitled to give (money, food or time) whatever we want to whichever causes we choose.

Its up to you what charities you give, and well done, most people wouldn't think twice about throwing their unwanted food in the bin.

:thumb:

:yes:
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Man it's cold out there at this time of year, and until you become homeless, it's dificult to comprehend the 'normal' things that suddenly become unavailable to you.

Exactly. if a can of special brew or whatever helps get the guy through the night, then who the hell am i to take that away from him.
  • Options
    She sounds a bit :eek2: I think you did the right thing
  • Options
    Definitely a good thing to do.

Arguably better idea than money as food is food, whereas money could go on food or drugs or alcohol or fairy lights.
  • Options
    You did a great that woman was just talking rubbish.
  • Options
    similar thing happened to me and my friend in london. she happened to be talking to a homeless guy about his dog and this business guy walked past telling us 'not to talk to bums'..very colourful language emerged from my friend's mouth that day.
  • Options
    Last time I was at the train station I was asked for money for a cup of tea. I just said if you don't mind i'll buy you a cup of tea, how's that?
    Least then noone can accuse you of funding a habit.
  • Options
    She's a twat.

I've given drink to homeless people on a few occassions, no skin off my teeth.
  • Options
    What's this got to do with other people? Surely it's better that you give your food to the homeless than just throw it away?
  • Options
    so what exactly did you reply to her with?

i would have probably just told her to mind her business.
  • Options
    The food either ends up in the bin or feeding someone one - easy decision really.