Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Quicky question for playwriting types.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am supposed to be writing 4 pages play script for Monday, but I wasn't in the seminar on play-writing format ('cause I was a bit dead). There is an example in the studenty area bit but I don't understand some of it :|.

In this:
A large open plan living area. It is simple – expensively simple. There is a large amount of wooden finish to the walls and furniture so one is put in mind of an opulent American ranch. UL is a large French window. This is open, revealing a veranda outside. DR is a dining area with a small, but expandable dining table. Above the dining area is a door to the rest of the house. On the sideboard is a portable phone. C and UC are a collection of chairs and occasional tables. On one of the chairs is a riding hat, crop and riding boots. DL is a deceptively rustic looking drinks cabinet with fridge etc..

I get that L and R are left and right, but what are U and D??

Help :(.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Upstage & downstage?
    yep- so UL would be upstage left, DR downstage right
    Oh and C is obviously Centrestage :)
    May help you with anything else Franki -

http://www.playwriting101.com/glossary
    Thank you everybody :D.

Now I just need to find the motivation to actually get on with doing it :chin:.
    Franki wrote: »
    Now I just need to find the motivation to actually get on with doing it :chin:.

A bedroom. Typically finished to a students standard. DL is a bed. The bed is unmade and there is an half-eaten pizza in a box sitting on the bed. There is a bedside cabinet with a lamp. The lamp is on highlighting a clock showing the time. UL shows the view to a miserable day outside. The curtains (that don't match the duvet) are half closed. UR shows a half open door to the hallway outside. Centre stage shows a study desk. Scattered around the desk is an assortment of pens, books, crumbled paper from discarded playwrites. Sitting at the desk is an bored looking student who would rather be surfing the internet and on closer inspection we see that that is exactly what she is doing. Suddenly a message pops up on her screen

GET BACK TO WORK. YOU'LL NEVER PASS YOUR ASSIGNMENT SURFING!!
    A bedroom. Typically finished to a students standard. DL is a bed. The bed is unmade and there is an half-eaten pizza in a box sitting on the bed. There is a bedside cabinet with a lamp. The lamp is on highlighting a clock showing the time. UL shows the view to a miserable day outside. The curtains (that don't match the duvet) are half closed. UR shows a half open door to the hallway outside. Centre stage shows a study desk. Scattered around the desk is an assortment of pens, books, crumbled paper from discarded playwrites. Sitting at the desk is an bored looking student who would rather be surfing the internet and on closer inspection we see that that is exactly what she is doing. Suddenly a message pops up on her screen

GET BACK TO WORK. YOU'LL NEVER PASS YOUR ASSIGNMENT SURFING!!
    ACTUALLY :p.

A hotel lounge. Furnished with an assortment of seating circles. R is a fireplace full of logs. UL shows a NICE day outside. C shows a large brown coffee table, with an array of newspapers. Sitting in a big chair in front of the desk is a bored looking student who would rather be in bed, but is instead waiting for her fiance to finish his geeky IT course. She knows she should be doing her work but has decided she will concentrate a lot more if she does it on the 3-hour train journey back to uni on Sunday night, where there is no distraction of the internet. So instead she goes to play Zoo Tycoon.

:razz:.
    lol

Why are girls obsessed with zoo tycoon? My girlfriend plays it all the time (and now colin mcrae (RIP) rally 2005 too...)