Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

oh moo

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
does uni make anyone else feel thick or is it just me? sometimes i feel like such a fraudster by being at uni that someone is gonna come into my room any second and throw me out for being too thick
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't feel too thick but I do feel like jumping off a bridge or driving into a wall anytime I have to go to or even think about lectures.
    ohh same as, the academic folk who lecture us intimidate me!
    Well, swop. I think most of my lecturers are... I'm not sure, not exactly thick but just completely dissmissive of other peoples angles/ideas.
    do the students talk in your lectures then? they dont in mine
    Yeah, coz we don't have 'proper' lectures. we HAVE to sit in 'learning teams' and we are marked on our contribution every lesson. We can only miss two lectures in the term or we get an automatic fail (for whatever reason, you have to appeal, even if you were sick and had a DR's note or whatever). You also HAVE to give feedback on your peers and lecturers work, I have to lie every week because I think the project my lecturer is currently working on is based on a false premise and is a complete bag of WANK. I know if I don't suck up to him and chat animatedly about his project I will get a shit mark. It's just a big bag of wank, suppose it does prepare you for the workplace a bit more than 'proper' lectures though.
    ohhh that sounds strange. we have lectures and seminars (seminars are just regular smaller classes) where everyone can take part..then we have lectures where the lecture stands at the front and talks for about an hour.
    That's what my English lectures were like. What subject are you doing?
    English :p
    Try to take notes on what you think the 'essence' ( I mean, themes) of what your lecturer is on about, then check your reading list and the library for the 'dummies guide' type style introduction book to that area. Then once you've read that, you can read further books on the topic, after wich the lecture will all make sense. Seems backwards but... that's how it works unless you do lots of preparatory reading for your lectures. If you'd rather work that way and be prerpaed. Send your lecturer an email asking what the main areas they're going to cover will be and if they can recommend you one simple and one more in depth book to read on it.

You won't be the only one doodling spirals on their notebook without a clue what they're on about ;)
    Exactly the subject I am studyin' at uni too! It's like my tutors all say...there's NEVER a wrong answer...so, translated into student terms - waffle!
    katralla wrote: »
    You also HAVE to give feedback on your peers and lecturers work, I have to lie every week because I think the project my lecturer is currently working on is based on a false premise and is a complete bag of WANK. I know if I don't suck up to him and chat animatedly about his project I will get a shit mark.

One of our lecturers got really annoyed because everyone quoted his book in a particular essay, and everyone apparently "didn't understand" what he'd written. So either we're all too thick, or he's simply shit at getting his point across in writing. But overall, no, our lecturers were great, and really open to everyone's contribution. The main lecturer was one of the leading audience researchers in the world though, so I guess he's used to listening to people rather than just lecturing.
    katralla wrote: »
    Try to take notes on what you think the 'essence' ( I mean, themes) of what your lecturer is on about, then check your reading list and the library for the 'dummies guide' type style introduction book to that area. Then once you've read that, you can read further books on the topic, after wich the lecture will all make sense. Seems backwards but... that's how it works unless you do lots of preparatory reading for your lectures. If you'd rather work that way and be prerpaed. Send your lecturer an email asking what the main areas they're going to cover will be and if they can recommend you one simple and one more in depth book to read on it.

You won't be the only one doodling spirals on their notebook without a clue what they're on about ;)

haha thank you, i feel a bit better about things because i've handed in my last essay of the first batch (just waiting for marks now), this week is gonna be my 'get on top of things' week..well that's the plan and i think i will spend at least a couple of hours this week in the library doing some background reading so i get a better gist of things.
    Not at all. I'm always blabbering away in my tutorials, though it's slightly easier because lots of stuff we talk about is topical and common sense anyway. English is a cunt at uni, my mates do it and the amount of reading is unfair.