Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

expected salary?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
when a job advert asks you to put your expected salary on your cv, where abouts are you supposed to pick?

currently im going for a design job, but this is more of a general question.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Generally you need to research what other people are getting paid for the same job and go slightly higher. Also put a higher amount than what you're currently earning.
    Most job sites ask you to put in a range i.e. 20-30k, which gives you some room to negotiate if you get to the interview, whowhere's spot on that you have to exaagerate your current salary to get anywhere, i've always blagged that i'm on 5-10k more than actual and it helps to set expectations so we're not wasting each other's time....
    Yeah definately don't be honest about your current salary.

Plus most employers these days in their wisdom try and lure people in with advertisments offering the higher end of pay bands only to make shitty offers afterwards, so make sure you're aiming up high to what they are asking.. won't stop the cheeky fuckers making you a lesser offer so you won't miss out ;)
    Yeah definately don't be honest about your current salary.
    Can't they easily find out what you're earning with the reference etc?
    Ricardo R wrote: »

Why on earth would your salary be in your reference for? And anyway, in a lot of cases the only reference you will get out of a company is a confirmation of your time there and your position in the company.
    Ricardo R wrote: »

No.

But they can easily find out after you're employed because they'll know how much tax you've paid in the current tax year.

Not a great idea to lie about what you're earning, but you're perfectly entitled not to tell them.
    well, thanks for all the help. it'll come in useful soon.
    i forgot to check back on here, and therefore forgot to add an expected salary to the cv...

but it doesn't matter...they want me to go to an interview on tueday.
    got to make a portfolio and find a way of printing all of it in time now. and buy some suitable clothes.

I really didn't think this through... i sort of applied on a whim.
    might have to pull a sicky on friday, monday and tuesday....cos being ill on friday and tuesday but not monday is just odd. help!