Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Changing my address and my passport

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so i may be moving! im after a list of place i need to inform of a change of address. So far ive got:
*DVLA (for driving licence)
*car insurance
*Passport ppl
*Bank
But please add to this list
Also, how much does it cost to alter the address on your driving licence+on your passport and how long does it take??
Thank you

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Driving license, address change only is free (it was when I got mine done a year or so ago)

Passport doesn't include your address, the only address in it is that of your next of kin which you add in yourself, you can just change it by hand yourself.
    Mobile phone? Utilty bills? Home Insurance?
    Credit card/store card provider

NSA (premium bonds, savings and such)

Store clubcard like Nectar and Tesco

Catalogue like Kays and Grattan

DWP if you receive any benefits

Council so you dont pay any more council tax for that address

TV Licensing

Police if your on license for murdering your neighbour :p

G.P.

Dentist

Hospital if you're receiving treatment.

All i can think of at the mo

Any insurance provider you have life, car, home.

Friends and family

Santa :D
    ok, so i may be moving! im after a list of place i need to inform of a change of address. So far ive got:
    *DVLA (for driving licence)
    *car insurance
    *Passport ppl
    *Bank
    But please add to this list
    Also, how much does it cost to alter the address on your driving licence+on your passport and how long does it take??
    Thank you

Is it actually the law to change your address on those documents? I've moved so many times in the last few years and haven't changed any addresses (apart from bank).
    Driving License, yes you have to tell them you've moved. Think it's up to £1,000 fine if ou don't.
    Bugger, i didn't - i lived away from home for 4 years and didn't change anything.

I find that the best bet is to change everything you can remember, set up a post-redirect which is about £15 for 3 months, then when stuff comes through which hasn't had the address changed, change it!
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Driving License, yes you have to tell them you've moved. Think it's up to £1,000 fine if ou don't.

:yes: Although it only becomes illegal when you drive i.e. it's not illegal to have the wrong address on your license, it is illegal to drive if you have the wrong address on your license. You can get a fine and you can get points on your license for this.

You serious? I think mines still registered at my parents address. I've lived all over though recently and never informed them.
    Calvin wrote: »
    You serious?

I'm not a 100% sure, but i do think i'm right :)

ETA Yes, just checked Leigh's license and you do have to inform them of a permanent change of address, or worsening of a medical condtion, or be fined up to £1,000.
    I'm not a 100% sure, but i do think i'm right :)

ETA Yes, just checked Leigh's license and you do have to inform them of a permanent change of address, or worsening of a medical condtion, or be fined up to £1,000.

Didnt know that :no:

Still i aint got £1000 to my name, so they will have to join the queue if they want money out of me.
    If you still live with mum and dad, or you can pretend you do, then you're fine. I didn't change mine until I bought this place (nothing before that was "permanent").
    Calvin wrote: »
    Still i aint got £1000 to my name

They take it in kind. You'll be locked in the DVLA stationary cupboard with 'Big Brenda' every saturday morning until the fine is paid off !
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    They take it in kind. You'll be locked in the DVLA stationary cupboard with 'Big Brenda' every saturday morning until the fine is paid off !

sounds like fun, where do I sign?

You can do DVLA for free online, that is what I did, when incidently, I took my license to station and they asked why my insurance was for up North, but license was for dahn sahf - didnt mention a fine :flirt:
    Kermit wrote: »
    If you still live with mum and dad, or you can pretend you do, then you're fine. I didn't change mine until I bought this place (nothing before that was "permanent").

I did the same. Not change addresses until I bought my own house. When I was renting, I was basing most documents at my parents'. Add to the addresses list:

- Electral roll
    - Young persons' / Disabled persons' rail card
    thanx for all these answers guys, its great. What is permanent counted as? i mean, im gonna change mine anyways, but im renting+not buying, so it isnt permanent. i hope to have my own place by the end of 2008
    I counted 'permanent' when I got onto the property market. If renting, then = parents' address.
    Even when I rented for six months I changed my address with DVLA because it's free and it's illegal if you don't. There are a couple of catalogues I haven't changed now that I own my own place, but that's because I want the parcels delivered to mum's house where there is always someone in to sign for them.
    Just try changing your address with o2 if you move into a new house. Address not on their system? They don't want to know. Never mind that they're running an out of date post code list.

Sigh.