Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

First Class degree and its GPA system Equivalence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello everyone, i am looking forward for my MS in UK, but when i try to read the requirements written on the university sites, i am now not sure about the terms used there. Actually we are studying here on GPA system and i think in Uk they have First class and second class degree system ( i don't know what they are).

SO i need help if some one know what are the Equivalence of GPA to First Class, upper second class and lower second class degree. If their is any other classes then please give me those too.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are also 3rd class degrees, and ordinary class degress (at my uni anyway).

Your best bet in to probably get in touch with a couple of the departments you are interested in. They usually have international equivalents.
    There are also 3rd class degrees, and ordinary class degress (at my uni anyway).

Your best bet in to probably get in touch with a couple of the departments you are interested in. They usually have international equivalents.

I email to them and get the reply
    "I would suggest that you complete an application form and send it to us together with all the documentation mentioned in the check list.",
    This is the exact reply i have quoted, from one uni. That is why i was asking if some one know what these things are. Are i also some thing like 2:1 or 2:2, what these things mean?
    1st is the best and very hard to get. Most people get 2:1 or 2:2 (with a 2:1 being better).
    katchika wrote: »
    1st is the best and very hard to get. Most people get 2:1 or 2:2 (with a 2:1 being better).

yah i read this all this on UK uni websites but what this actually mean? Any one knows?
    oh bloody look it up on google!!
    katchika wrote: »
    oh bloody look it up on google!!

I also try that out but did not get any result! If you don't have any answer then don't use this language.
    Well you could have said "thank you" in the first place! And I did answer! Sorry if I was rude, but I'm tired.
    I think it works:

4.0 - 3.8: 1st
    3.7. - 3.5: 2:1
    3.4. - 3.2: 2:2
    3.2.> 3rd

If you look at as 1st = A, 2:1 = B, 2:2 = C, then those GPAs are the equivalent scores.
    I think it works:

4.0 - 3.8: 1st
    3.7. - 3.5: 2:1
    3.4. - 3.2: 2:2
    3.2.> 3rd

If you look at as 1st = A, 2:1 = B, 2:2 = C, then those GPAs are the equivalent scores.

thanks alot, i think i was looking for that.
    Is that for a regular degree or an honours degree though?

Probably just a good idea to email whoever runs the course you want to go on and see what their requirements are. I'm sure they get enough overseas applicants to know the Pakistan system.
    Is that for a regular degree or an honours degree though?

Probably just a good idea to email whoever runs the course you want to go on and see what their requirements are. I'm sure they get enough overseas applicants to know the Pakistan system.

As i reply earlier, they actually are not replying to my this question. I don't know why and i get the reply, "Please send your application with require documents" and this is the reply i get from "queen mary university". And as a last hope after emailing to them, i came here to ask you people, if i can get the correct answer.

And one more thing, by doing google search it makes more worse, i am getting different kid of equivalences. E.g; some where i get first class is 3.5 and some where it is 3.8. same case to others like 2:1 and 2:2.
    It's probably because there isn't a clear cut conversion between the two systems.

A lot of places take the subject and the uni into account as well as the degree class, so without wishing to start a fight, to some masters programmes or employers will favour a 2:2 from Cambridge over a high 2:1 from St Elsewheres ex polytechnic.