Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Temporary stopping Jobs seeker's allowance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Question: I finished a Master's degree at the end of september. I was unsuccessful in finding work straight after and have been looking, applying, going to fairs, and slow bureaucratic application processes am still waiting for one interview promised.

I'm on JSA and a family friend has asked me to assist him with restarting his insurance business for 3-4 weeks. He's had cancer the past 3 years and finally has the energy It's over most of December and first week of Jan where if nothing has happened on the job search by then I don't expect much to happen over xmas. However, it's in New York and pay would be room, food and flight.

I'd expect to go off JSA until I get back, but I'm unsure about discussing this with the adviser. It's not exactly voluntary, it's not going to give me a P45, if I work abroad would I lose future right to claim by being a 'non-dom'? Would I have to resign on? Would that be a problem as it'll be the second time in 6 months? What's the best way to approach the situation?

Hopefully, I'll have a job lined up here by then but I need to work this out as I don't want to possibly screwing myself in January.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't you have to sign on every 2 weeks with jsa anyway? So if you can't do that then you would lose entitlement anyway. Unless you tell them you're going on holiday for a few weeks. They would probably ask you to prove it but that way you might be able to keep it up. Or just restart it with that fast track thing when you get back.
    Yes you would have to sign off temporarily, but you should be able to do a rapid reclaim. Ask your advisor.

Where do you live? Can't you find any sort of work?
    When signing off I need to give my employment information. Will the fact that it's abroad and will issue me with no P45 be a problem for resigning? In other words, will I lose citizenry benefits and have problems signing on for a second time without contributing new N.I.

I'm looking for permanent work for a career. I want to avoid temporary work if at all possible but it's taking ages. I'm now looking at temp work but it will be difficult to match the opportunity and the enhancement to my CV the NY opportunity will do.

NB. I calcuate I have paid in excess of 2000GBP in N.I. over the past 6 years so the state hasn't lost money yet,,
    Surely it would be better for your finances, CV, and just in general, to do any sort of work rather than being on benefits?

I'm doing temporary work at the moment, not earning great money but at least I'm working.

If I were you I would just say I was going to stay with a friend. No need to go into the details. You're not getting paid as such, just given a flight and somewhere to stay.
    OK, wouldn't that reflect badly if I need to sign on in the new year?
    Also, the process of signing 'off', I noticed that the perferated slip in the JSA where I complete new employment information states I have the right not to complete it. Does this mean I can call up and sign off without citing a reason?

If you have a direct link to page that talks about 'signing-off', I'd be grateful. I've found everything on JSA but 'singing-off'...
    South Coast with parents, want to be back in London asap. Had a few bites but one interview keeps getting postponed as the HR guy is off sick. A few rejections, two very keen but got nothing until January. I'm looking for a permanent career job but will start looking at any temp by the end of the month hence the question. May get lucky here but the NY job is likely to do more for my CV.

I've done many temp jobs before but now I really want permanent, or temp job that will get me into permanent. I'm doing 5 applications a week but it takes forever to get an answer even when I follow up..
    There are occasional circumstances when they can stop Jobseekers Allowance temporarily. I suggest going down to your local job centre and asking some serious questions.

If you sign off JSA, you don't have to give a reason. But they do like it when one is provided, as it allows them to keep an eye on whether the JSA scheme is working properly.
    If you move abroad that could cause problems with making a new claim. The rules are fairly vague (to stop Romanians getting benefit, to be quite honest) but to get benefit you need to show that you intend to live and work in the UK permanently.

For JSA, you shouldn't have a problem making a new claim when you are back in the UK. If you make a claim within 12 weeks of leaving JSA you should be put onto the rapid reclaim system, which is a shorter form and needs less information from you.

You will probably need to make a new claim when you return, as you will be in work.