Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

HMV seasonal job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I applied online with HMV the other day for temp xmas work. Got a phone call the same afternoon asking me in for an interview. They must have liked what I wrote on my online app as they got back to me so fast.

I REALLY want this job, but ive never worked in retail or music before.

Has anyone here worked in HMV, or a music store? can you give me any pointers or info as to what will impress them at interview?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what did you write? lol. I'm struggling to get jobs... :(
    I worked for virgin megastore as my first christmas job a few years ago. They MAY ask you some music related stuff - what is in the top 10, or about new releases etc, I didn't get asked that at my interview but other people did and it will be useful for you to have some idea anyway if you do get the job. Generally you might be asked to give examples of a time you've helped someone out and what you think makes good customer service. Also be clear on why you want to work there, I think they like it if you say something about the company/the products/promotions etc to show you are interested.

I know it is only a christmas job but I've been asked the most bizarre questions for christmas retail jobs in my time that have had nothing to do with the actual job - eg. What is your greatest achievement in life so far? (asked for the christmas job at virgin when I was 17) and also - what do you think of your last manager and in what ways are you like them? Don't worry about it thought, at the end of the day you can't be prepared for that sort of randomness, just be honest, smiley and confident and there is no reason why you shouldn't get it.

Good luck!
    I work for Waterstone's (owned by HMV) and they asked me lots of questions about good customer service, previous retail experience, my opinion of the Waterstone's brand, etc.
    I remember before Andy's Records went down the shitter, they had an application form where you had to list what you think are the five most influential albums and say why.
    Oh please. What a joke.
    Thanks for the advice guys. Interview is today, i'll let you know how it goes
    Just got back from my interview. I think I did ok, but I must admit my enthusiasm sort of dropped when they told me it pays £5.50 per hour!

The job ad says excellent rates of pay so I expected a bit more than the minimum wage! Trouble is I've worked as a skilled trade for the past 3 years earning 3 times waht they pay, but I need to do something less physically demanding - at least for a while - due to a back injury.
    Glad it went ok. Not being funny but most retail jobs pay around the minimum wage. You realise you'll more than likely be standing up all day?
    yeah, on your feet all day and pretty hectic too, nearer it gets to christmas. I don't mind that though, I could live with it I think, but I'm just shocked how bad the pay is! I had no idea retail payed so poorly, especially when they say otherwise in their ads!
    Oh yeah, I went for a job recently which also said "excellent rates"..these amazing rates are £5.80 an hour. WOW.
    They just called me to offer me the job :nervous:

She could tell I wasn't really hugely keen. I've said I'll start monday but I'm just not that excited by it.
    I remember before Andy's Records went down the shitter, they had an application form where you had to list what you think are the five most influential albums and say why.

I remember that. I thought that place was a local independent. I loved it, I spent hours in there after school listening to albums while waiting for trains or after school lesson etc.
    It's better than sitting at home on #70 a week incapacity benefit.