Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

'B****cks' :o(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so this is a bit of a cross between student and work.

I've just quit my foundation degree for a number of factors; the course itself is awful - the tutors aren't teaching at a high enough standard, I'm being taught the basics of what I already know, it's costing too much, I have to commute which is taking up all my energy and finally, the industry I'd being going into at the end of my studies isn't 'suitable' for someone with physical/mobility issues.

So, now I'm at home, with no other options; my local college is advertising the course I'd love to do, but isn't running it. I'm limited by the jobs I can do because of my condition, so working in retail isn't an option anymore. Nor can I sit behind a desk for hours or work on a PC for an amount of time.

What on earth am I going to do? I suppose I'm not writing this to ask for help exactly, I'm just airing my frustrations and worries to someone. My parents are on tenderhooks waiting for me to decide what I'm going to do now I'm not studying and the pressure to find something I can do is unbearable.
I'm really down about the whole situation. I'm gutted beyond belief that the course I was looking so forward to doing isn't up to scratch and I feel let down by the whole system.

The only 'career' I've ever vaguely wanted to do was to be a makeup artist, and now I've been told by so many people that it's not exactly the best idea for me, I just don't know what to do now. I've always struggled to know what I wanted to 'be' when I grew up, and now I'm grown up, I still don't know. :crying:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't worry, most people don't.

When you say that the college isn't running the course you want to do, do you mean that it's not taking any new students until next year, or it's not running it full stop?

Personally, I would say that you should think about what you want to do, but in the meantime, try and avoid any gaps in your CV. This mean try and get any job you can do, or if you can't find anything, do some volunteer work. Most people will go through periods where they don't have a clue what they want to do (look at KHSS's thread on jobs after uni ffs), but the important thing is to keep busy, try new things and don't get stuck in a rut.
    Also see if you can arrange to see a Disability Employment advisor. They can be less than useless, or very good depending on who you get but definitely worth a shot.
    Did you air your concerns about the course before leaving? I'm sure the course directors would like to know what you thought and why you left.
    I've written a lengthy letter of all the problems and issues I've encountered in the past 6 weeks of the course. I've emailed it to my tutor and am sending it to my Disability Advisor at my LEA, and the head of department at the college.

I feel better for getting it down in writing, but still left with such uncertainty. :(