Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What jobs do you do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BA, although a lot of what we've done could be science. Acoustic analysis certainly isn't arty, that's for sure :chin:

Anyone know anything about sales? Big commission!
    I'm a part-time bookseller. Rock.

I'm thinking of going into ordained ministry when I graduate, believe it or not....
    Anyone know anything about sales? Big commission!

i do pre-sales IT technical consultancy which doesn't pay the big commissions but the top sales guys i work with will earn 6-figures in bonus alone, pretty obscene but the high end storage hardware is over £1 million per unit so i guess it's all relative, i think you just have to have the gift of the gab and know how to close a deal, i'm not sure i'm a natural salesman but if i'm still here in 2-3 years i'd have to consider it, otherwise i'm just lining their pockets!

ETA: it is a lot more cut-throat though, if you miss your targets you're out the door so bit more pressure than your average job...
    I know you say you are fed up of education but...how about training to be a speech therapist, as they are really sort after. Especially if you already have an interest in lanuage,a nd child language development etc. :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Thanks Helen, I'm having a look at that now.

What sort of voluntary writing would it be? I'm interested and would like to find out more :thumb:

Here you go m'dear - get involved

:)
    I'm an editor, of sorts, and although I can see that it's quite an enjoyable job, it's very unlikely to lead you to the megabucks! Unless you move to London, of course. There are loads more jobs there, and they pay considerably better.

I got into it cause it's 'englishy' and related to my degree, but in all honesty, I'm just doing it cause I'm good at it, and don't hate it as much as I could. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Tear.
    Ah Kaff. You are going to write a series of very humourous books that will sell really well as stocking fillers. That is your destiny, I read it in my tea leaves.

I'm beginning to think my talent lies with making christmas decorations out of cardboard and glitter paint.
    Awww. I wish!

Sadly, working full time in a creative environment somehow has the curious effect of totally draining every ounce of my creativeness!

You could be a Christmas decoration designer! They exist :yes:
    hahaha have you seen the photo on my lj?
    hahaha have you seen the photo on my lj?

:yes:

They're very jolly. I thought that was an appropriate Christmassy adjective!
    You knew that because you are wordy and write Christmas cards :yes:
    I'm now a part time temporary admin assistant, for my mum (project manager for a substance misuse service) And because she rocks, I'm on £6.50 an hour hehe.
    I don't have a job - no one wants be because I can't do many hours :(
    I volunteer at my local cats protection centre though - brushing, handling, cleaning litter trays etc.
    I work at Early Learning Centre, all I do is make things and play with kids toys!

When I qualify (hopefully) I'll be a nurse, although I'm sure I actually want to anymore :chin: I dunno, I've come this far I'm not stopping now though.
    thesite work experience sounds interesting..it's making me ponder!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I'm an EPOS field engineer.
    Means installing networked touch screen PC based till systems, and repairing them all over the country. Involves CAT5 and IRC cabling, work on PCBs, soldering, mechanical work on printers, programming etc etc.
    Weekender Offender 
    im graduating this year too been doing a fine art BA and pretty much the only options anyone can think of are doing an ma or teaching and as i dont want to do either im really stumped too! im thinking ill just apply for anything and hope i find something i will enjoy
    I work in a PR and Marketing agency on the Accounts side :)
    I'm a reservations co-ordinator for a worldwide chauffeur company. It's alriiiight. Bit boring nowadays.
    I'm communities manager for TheSite.org, ah it's alright I suppose... :p
    Skive wrote: »
    I'm an EPOS field engineer.
    Means installing networked touch screen PC based till systems, and repairing them all over the country. Involves CAT5 and IRC cabling, work on PCBs, soldering, mechanical work on printers, programming etc etc.

How did you train for that? What route do you have to take?
    I am a business development manager/international programmes manager for a charity which works in international development. Which means I work in partnership with people and organisations in developing countries to design, run and manage programmes.
    I'm controling air traffic for no pay. :( Best kind of work I've done so far but I hate being poor. :p Can't wait for May.

To get some extra moolah I've started helping with bookkeeping for the shop I've worked for part time the past few years. I don't mind the actual work but I wouldn't want to do it for a living. It's a routine job and you want to do things right the first time around to save yourself later hassle.
    Work for o2 in the call centre, don't like the job but you can wear what you like, the people I work with are cool and there's plenty of totty in the office aswell :thumb:
    lipsy wrote: »
    I work in a PR and Marketing agency on the Accounts side :)

When I say accounts.. I don't mean accounting! or anything to do with maths :razz:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I don't have a job :D
    I'm accounts trained, but currently temping for a banks doing reconcilation work (checking what goes in and out the accounts agrees); bloody boring but pays well.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    kangoo wrote: »
    How did you train for that? What route do you have to take?

Fell into what I do by accident really.
    My mate got me what was going to be a temporary job as an assistant helping him install video on demand systems and phone systems in hotels. When he left I took his job as a telecoms engineer. That gave me experience in cabling and systems.
    Left and became a self employed data cabler which was shit hot money but work wasn't guranteed.
    Applied for a job with the company I'm with now and my cabling, and field engineer experience got me the job.
    Weekender Offender 
    Internal Audit for the Royal Bank of Scotland Group. It's a reet laff.