Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Christmas on a budget..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Please don't shoot me down in flames for mentioning the infamous 'C' word before the start of December, I just wondering if anyone was doing Christmas on a budget this year?

How are you going about buying presents on a budget which are still decent and meaningful.

I fear I may struggle to buy presents for my three siblings, two parents and one OH, especially since they all love their material items, the OH is the probably the least present demanding but my two eldest siblings are quite expectant of a decent pressie for the big C day, and I'm really concerned about disappointing them with their present!

I guess I could make something, it would have the meaning behind it, but to be perfectly honestly with yous, I'm the least creative person on this planet. I can just about draw stick men. How shameful eh?

So, how do you do it? Perhaps I should change my username to 'Cheap_skate_lass' with all these budget-esque threads I keep starting..

:o

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm buying presents for 3 people - my fiance (because he always spends masses on me and I feel so guilty), my dad (and only because he wants a CD that I want, so I'll put it on my laptop before giving it to him) and my little sister (who is five and doesn't understand the concept of not being able to afford stuff). Everyone else is getting a hand-made shitty card. Because I'm skinted.

I did manage to buy for 9 people last year on just £45 though :D.
    Impressive Franki. What's your trick ;)
    Amazon :thumb:
    Give a budget of £5 per person and DON'T go over it. My little sister wanted a Barbie last year but they're all like £20 each and so I bought a Sindy for £4.99 instead. 2 for £10 at HMV was a life saver, socks (2 for £5) and scarf (£5) from the market, and a calendar for £4.99. Cheapy old PC game from WHSmith.

Hurrah!
    I have the same problemo!

I have my mum, two sblings and heaps of cousins, aunts, auncles, etc.

Presents are a big thing in our family too so for a poor student like me, its gonna be pretty costly (especially when my brother is hoping for a nintendo wii from me:banghead: !!!
    People get too caught up in the materialistic side of xmas - they go overboard on things they can't afford. Keeping it simple is the best thing to do. They're not exactly going to throw it back in your face because it wasnt expensive enough. If they do then you don't have to worry about buying for them again.
    I start buying early.

I've 24 adults and 4 kids to buy for aswell as having my wee girls birthday 4 weeks before Christmas so I need to start early and be organised.

Make a budget for each person and stick to it. Anyone who is disappointed by a gift you give them doesn't deserve anything as far as Im concerned.
    Glittery wrote: »
    Make a budget for each person and stick to it. Anyone who is disappointed by a gift you give them doesn't deserve anything as far as Im concerned.

:yes:.

Although I must say I was very disappointed with my twin last year because she clearly didn't make much effort thinking of things to buy people - she just abused her Body Shop employee discount.
    Most of my family are coming out with the whole "honestly, please don't buy us anything" thing this year and it's pretty annoying seeing as it's only really now I can afford to buy people stuff and I do like present buying.

Not that most people don't end up getting Quality Street off me right enough.
    bake some cakes and decorate them individually making them personal
    Sad as it is I start buying presents in August! I've got several friends to buy for and my family too, as well as my boyfriend. I use eBay a lot to get cosmetics at discount prices. Most of the time they're not boxed but it doesn't make a difference to me, or them. For example I bought one friend an Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream Lip Protectant on eBay. It retails for £15 and I got it for £7. It's all she'll get from me but I know she has wanted one for ages but can't justify the price. Another friend is getting a scarf and gloves set I bought in the sales last year and my boyfriend is getting loads of stuff from eBay too!
    my cousins (who are more like sisters) got £4 ugg style slippers last year with matching slipper socks £1 from primakr

my mate got a giftbag full of jewellry from primark, she loved it, loadsa accessories for her (saves her knickin mine hehe)

my aunties got a bottle of next perfume - £5

another auntie loves dragon flys, i got a bottle of perfume in the year from avon, and got a free silky dragon fly kimono...that got put away then wrapped up for her!

the only people i splash out on are my mum & my fiance

i am lucky because my fiance usually buys my mums, then i get her a bottle of sherry or a couple of packets of fags

for the fella, i usually sell stuff on ebay through the year, keep what i've made in my paypal account, then buy all his designer gear from ebay or transfer £25 and get him summat from M&M direct, designer labels, at a fraction of the price
    I'm not really bothering this year. I'm not in the mood.

Sorry that's not very helpful for you. Ummmm as for cheap things, just go somewhere like TJ Hughes, or alternatively get them something in January when Boots has great sales of all the Christmas gifts.

I'm sure they will understand you don't have much money, Christmas should be about spending time with your friends and family, not spending loads of money. :)
    My mum's got a card for one of those suppliers. Real Barbie for £4 plus VAT for the niece, thank you very much. Stupid puzzle games for £5 that are usually about £20 in Debenhams. :D
    You could always tell them you are super skint, and please not to buy you anything as you REALLY cant afford to buy stuff back.
    Ive done this some years. It does make for a shit christmas, but its certainly cheaper
    If you have no money tell them, and if they huff, tell them they won't get owt then.

We were skint last Christmas, and we (by "we" I do, of course, mean the wife) baked biscuits and cakes for everyone. It was meaningful because it took us time and energy, but didn't cost much.
    Hmm, bit late now, but definitely start early! I've normally got about half my present shopping out of the way by now, but I've got a wedding and holiday to pay for, so I'll have to wait for December's pay packet to start this year!
    I've got half of my presents this year. Got stuff for my parents from Amazon, mainly using gift vouchers.
    make things!

i've got to do the whole shabang this year on fuck all money for 2...don't know how i'm going to do it