Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Not Allowed On Course Because I'm Not On Benefits - Huh?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Really confused now...

Yesterday I went to see a disability employment adviser and got refered to a company called Remploy. I got told by the DEA that I wouldn't get on the course because I'm not on benefits. Why?

It's becoming frsutrating now - I can't get a job because of some physical and mental health problems I have and no-one from the doctors or Job Centre seems to be willing to help me out.

So what am I meant to do?

Also, one minute I'm being told by someone (on here) that I can't get income support because of my disability (partially sighted) but according to the DEA, I can as long as I get a dotor's note - even though I've got at least 2 documents saying that I am registered partially sighted.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A lot of these "courses" are designed to get people off benefits and are funded with this in mind.

Have you actually put in a claim for benefits? Did it go through okay?
    I did put a claim in, but because I've been refused a doctor's note, I can't get anything.
    Well you are goning to need some help in either getting a job that you can do at the moment and/or getting any benefits you are entitled too. the ask the site service might be useful, or see if you can book an appointment with the CAB or a benefits advice place.
    Why have you been "refused" a doctor's note? I'd be complaining about your GP if s/he is refusing to give a medical opinion.

For DLA you do not need medical evidence, you need to show what your care and mobility needs are, although you obviously do need some independent evidence to show what they are.

With regards to income support/incapacity benefit, you need to show that you are incapable of work. Being partially sighted isn't, by itself, enough. To qualify as incapable of work you need to show that you cannot tell light from dark, see the shape of furniture in the room, or see 16 point print at a distance of more than 20cm. The test is taken wearing your usual glasses, and in good light.

You may also qualify as incapable of work if you cannot recognise a friend across the room from a distance of 5 metres or across a road from a distance of 20 metres, but you would need to show that you had other issues too.

If the partial vision is the only thing wrong with you, then it doesn't sound like you will be considered incapable of work.

Without going into what your circumstances are in detail I can't tell you what benefits you are entitled to. You need to chat with a benefits expert. The quickest way is to ring Community Legal Service Direct on 0845 345 4345. You might even get to speak to me :lol:
    Kermit wrote: »
    Why have you been "refused" a doctor's note? I'd be complaining about your GP if s/he is refusing to give a medical opinion.

Well, I got told I might be able to get one once I'd seen the CPN. Saw her last week (which was a waste pf time - she was more interested in what I was hoping to do in the future rather than actually helping me:rolleyes: )
    With regards to income support/incapacity benefit, you need to show that you are incapable of work. Being partially sighted isn't, by itself, enough. To qualify as incapable of work you need to show that you cannot tell light from dark, see the shape of furniture in the room, or see 16 point print at a distance of more than 20cm. The test is taken wearing your usual glasses, and in good light.

You may also qualify as incapable of work if you cannot recognise a friend across the room from a distance of 5 metres or across a road from a distance of 20 metres, but you would need to show that you had other issues too.

According to the person I saw on Monday, no such test exists. Oddily enough, I've found links describing the test you're talking about and was given a link about this by someone from the RNIB.:rolleyes:
    The test I refer to is the 'personal capability assessment', which the DWP use to decide if someone is capable of work or not. You need to get 15 points on the physical assessment, 10 points on the mental health assessment, or 15 points in total.

You get 15 points if you cannot tell light from dark, see the shape of furniture in the room, or see 16 point print at a distance of more than 20cm.

You get 12 points if you cannot recognise a friend across the room from a distance of 5 metres, and 8 points if you cannot recognise a friend across a road from a distance of 20 metres.

If you pass you can get incapacity benefit (in some restricted circumstances, given your age) or income support on the grounds of incapacity.
    Thanks.

Went to see someone at Remploy today and he said I was allowed on this course 9do have to have a meeting first though) because I'm a school leaver. I really do wonder if the DEA I saw on Monday does really have a clue about any of this.:rolleyes: