Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dizziness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the past few days been feeling really light headed and dizzy. Not just if I get up too quickly, but just turning over in bed, or even just walking around. Not sure if it's a defincy in some random vitamin, or a lack of some mineral, I'm not very clued up on things like that. Just wondered if anyone would like to venture a diagnosis? Don't think it's serious enough to go to the doctors, and as I've just started uni that's not very easy to do at the moment!

Comments

• Options
    Have you registered at a doctor yet?

If not, make sure you do soon so it's nice and easy if you do need to see a doctor.

One of the likely ones if you're a new student is being slightly iron deficient. You get iron from red meat, green leafy veg (like spinach) and some breakfast cereals.

Some red meat, some more fruit and veg, more water and more sleep might make the world of difference.

If you're worried though, you should obviously see a doctor.
  • Options
    lack of sugar?
    are you eating properly? - because that would be the most obvious cause...
  • Options
    For the past few days been feeling really light headed and dizzy. Not just if I get up too quickly, but just turning over in bed, or even just walking around. Not sure if it's a defincy in some random vitamin, or a lack of some mineral, I'm not very clued up on things like that. Just wondered if anyone would like to venture a diagnosis? Don't think it's serious enough to go to the doctors, and as I've just started uni that's not very easy to do at the moment!

Anemia Perhaps?

Symptoms of anemia

• Often, no symptoms
    • Paleness
    • Feeling tired
    • Unusual shortness of breath during exercise
    • Fast heartbeat
    • Cold hands and feet
    • Brittle nails
    • Headaches
  • Options
    I had something like this a while back. It lasted for a good couple of weeks and felt like I'd just got off a plane or boat - that weird dizzy feeling of the ground being slightly unstable under my feet. I even had a blood test because of it but it came back clear - my housemate is a clinical psychologist and she suggested it could be stress as I had quite a lot of things going on at the time. She lent me a relaxation CD and advised me on a few stress-relief techniques and within a couple of days it was sorted. It could just be that...but the other advice about eating properly and getting enough sleep is good too :thumb:
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey Innocent Kate,

Feeling dizzy is quite a normal human experience, but different people may mean different things when taking about it.

Dizziness can be caused by a number of things. Viral infections are the most common cause, but it can also be caused by quick drops in blood pressure. These are fairly harmless and lead to a quick loss of blood supply to the brain. This is what you feel when you suddenly get up after sitting or lying down.

Anxiety and panic attacks can lead to dizzy spells and they usually come along with headaches and tingly fingers. Other causes of dizziness are drug treatments, stress, and anaemia.

In most case, dizziness is a minor irritation, but can sometimes be a warning that there’s a more serious problem.

If your dizziness continues go to your doctor like scary monster suggested.

There’s a really good answer from a Q&A about dizzy spells on TheSite.org that I think will help you out. You could also check out the articles on anxiety and stress if you think that this is what’s causing your dizziness.

Hope this helps :thumb: