Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hayden Panettiere's Involvement In Dolphin Slaughter Sparks Petition

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hayden Panettiere's involvement in exposing the thousands of dolphins killed each year at the notorious killing cove in Taiji Japan has sparked an online petition that had a goal of delivereing 2,000,000 signatures to the Japanese Embassy in the US, Congress, the United Nations, among other high profile government and environmental organizations.

An estimated 25,000 dolphins and porpoises each year are slaughtered by Japanese fishermen, either harvested for their meat in annual drives or captured for sale to marine and captive swim parks.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savethedolphinsnow/

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your title is misleading - did Hayden Panettiere slaughter lots of dolphins?

Anyway, spam/advertising/whatever
    Actually - kinda why this section is here - the whole activism forum does allow people to promote their own causes
    Oh sorry! I clicked on it in new posts without looking at the forum :blush: I was mostly being picky about his syntax though ;)
    nah worries :P
    hmmm are people against this because they are endangered or because they are cute animals people like?

the petition seems to suggest the later, which if is the case i cant support it.

there are hundreds of different animals which get slaughtered for meat etc.. why does noone stand up for them? because they are not "cute"

as for them being endangered? what are we doing about Cod etc?? many chippies still sell them, do the rest of the world look upon us being cruel wiping them out?
    Good point. I was channel surfing and they had her on bawling on about the dolphins. I watched it for a few minutes and I don't think even once she mentioned about the endagered part. She mentioned cute and intelligent, and cute again. (and cute a few more times) I'm sure its a good cause, she just seems to going about it in the wrong manner.

Reminds me a bit of the part in futurama where they were all eating endangered animals until somebody said pass the bottlenose dolphin, but it was alright to eat him because he spent all his money on gambling :p
    Good point. I was channel surfing and they had her on bawling on about the dolphins. I watched it for a few minutes and I don't think even once she mentioned about the endagered part. She mentioned cute and intelligent, and cute again. (and cute a few more times) I'm sure its a good cause, she just seems to going about it in the wrong manner.

Reminds me a bit of the part in futurama where they were all eating endangered animals until somebody said pass the bottlenose dolphin, but it was alright to eat him because he spent all his money on gambling :p

ill informed campaigning is cringe worthy, reminds me of brass eye.

silly moo
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    koe_182 wrote: »
    ill informed campaigning is cringe worthy, reminds me of brass eye.

silly moo

If she is of the opinion that this is wrong, how is it cringeworthy? She is entitled to her opinion, as are you (and dont we know it!). I dont know the ins and outs of it, but I am assuming these dolphins are not slaughtered in a humane way (possibly an incorrect assumption, but an assumption all the same!) unlike the animals slaughtered for meat over here.

I also dont think cows/pigs/penguins are captured to go to the zoo, it is normally ones who have been rescued (them pesky penguins hanging around on the M25 need to be looked after somewhere!) and their offspring.

so ner! :razz:
    I can't even get away from gold spammers even here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!