Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being a kibbutz volunteer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone done this or know anyone who has done it?

What's it like? What are the people like? What's the work like? What do you do (work-wise & in your free time)?

How much is it? Did you organize it with a company - do any companies organize these kinda things? How do you organize it? How long did you go for?

Are all kibbutz in Israel? How safe is it? I asked my dad and he rambled on about occasional missiles :eek:

I know nothing about Israel or Hebrew. Do you have to know Hebrew? I understand you should probably know a few words – any suggestions on good words to learn and how I should learn them? (I see CD-ROMs offering Japanese, French, Spanish etc, not so much on Hebrew)

Anything else you can think of that might be useful to someone considering being a kibbutz volunteer?

Sorry for the millions of questions. Thank you! :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My brother volunteered on a kibbutz when he was 18 - I know he had a great time but it was hard work.

He was out pretty much every day in the fields etc... he learnt to drive a tractor which he thought was great fun!

If I remember rightly he had quite a social life with the group that he was with as they were all of a similar age and so had a laugh.

I'm not sure who he went with though, I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with an academic organised group so he must have done the research himself.

He is out of the country this week but I will ask him for some more information when he is back!

One thing I do remember is that he came back with an awesome tan :D
    Cool thanks Splodgey. It does seem to be hard work but sounds awesome anyway. He got a tan? Another benefit I hadn't thought of! :chin: Sounds good
    I want more people to contribute to this conversation because this is the only reason I rgistered with the website! I want to stay on a kibbutz next April and would appreciate any advice people can give! Also....has anyone been to Tsfat? It sounds amazing!
    I want more people to contribute to this conversation because this is the only reason I rgistered with the website! I want to stay on a kibbutz next April and would appreciate any advice people can give! Also....has anyone been to Tsfat? It sounds amazing!

I have been to Tsfat (although I know it as Safed). It's lovely..the sunset is so red and intense.

I don't know much about kibbutzim, one of my friends worked on a moshad (similar but you get paid more and it's slightly older people).

I've stayed on a few kibbutz, one by the sea of gallilee, it was beautiful but like a holiday camp.